Solved! Can't get my lenovo Yoga260 to recognize 2242 ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2020
Hi everyone,
I've got a Yoga260. They come with an empty m.2 slot, beside the wlan card, that can fit a 2242 ssd. I bought a transcend 2242 SATA ssd, and put it in. Installation was easy. The card seated just fine. But the machine won't recognize that the drive is installed. I put the very same ssd into the empty slot on my workhorse, a W541, and that machine saw the drive without a problem.

So now I'm beyond my knowledge of these things. I don't believe it is a hardware issue with the transcend. I guess it could be a bad PCIe slot on the yoga. My googling hasn't been as informative as I'd like, but I get the impression some of these type issues can be resolved with some BIOS magic. I've read about possibly needing to activate the slot. I dunno.

If anyone knows about these sort of compatibility things, I'd love to hear about it. If someone could just confirm that it's possible to utilize this empty slot, it would be a good start. Anyway, I throw myself at y'all's mercy.

Solution
May 31, 2020
I think the one that it's set into is the only one that will fit it. The PCIe beside it has the wwlan card in it, which has the screw that holds it offset from the center. My 2242 ssd has a centered screw cutout that matches the slot it's mounted in, which makes me feel pretty confident that it's the only place it will fit. The Yoga's main drive is also a PCIe m.2, but it's sized for the 2280 cards.

Here's a picture (not mine) of the slot that I've put the 2242 ssd into. You can see where the smaller wlan card is seated at the top of the image. As far as I can tell, all Yoga 260s come with this empty slot. Surely something must be able to go in there. If a SATA 2242 ssd can't, and there aren't wireless card wires leading to it, I'm confused what can.
Lenovo-Thinkpad-Yoga-260-Disassembly-5.jpg

May 31, 2020
Just to clarify, I'm attempting to put this 2242 ssd into the empty PCIe slot shown in that picture. This is a slot that (i believe) comes factory empty on every produced Yoga 260. I already have a 2280 m.2 drive in the main slot. I installed the 2242 with the hopes that I could use it as a second drive and eventually dual boot a linux distro with it.

I believe the disassembly website you've linked to there shows the two slots quite well.

rgd1101

Don't
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS