Can't get subwoofer sound from my new AV Receiver

amielp

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Just hooked up my new Pioneer VSX-44 receiver to my TV, Uverser receiver, BD player etc. All works fine but I'm not getting sound to my powered Subwoofer (5-7 year old 10" Polk model). I've tried every possible combination of speaker set up (selecting "large" for the main speakers, then small, then PLUS for the subwoofer etc. Nothing works. Worked fine with my Onkyo last week. So not sure if its a defective unit (seems doubtful) or some setting somewhere. The CD has a 70 page instruction manner written in obtuse language. "making you better feeling" any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
If your receiver has line out for some other channel you could feed that into the Polk. It will be full spectrum audio and the Polk will only handle some of it but it would at least tell you if the Polk is working. To get more signal to the Polk, select small for the main speakers. That tells the receiver that the main L/R don't have large woofers.
If the sub is turned on in the receiver speaker set up menu I would check the cable next. If you want to make sure that the sub is OK you can connect it to any RCA output audio source but start with the volume all the way down on the sub level. Make sure the AC outlet it is plugged into is OK too.

kanewolf

Judicious
If your receiver has line out for some other channel you could feed that into the Polk. It will be full spectrum audio and the Polk will only handle some of it but it would at least tell you if the Polk is working. To get more signal to the Polk, select small for the main speakers. That tells the receiver that the main L/R don't have large woofers.

Solution

amielp

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks kanewolf and americanaudiophile. good suggestions. Pretty sure the subwoofer was working before but definitely should check and make sure its not the subwoofer before i drive myself nuts. for some reason i read somewhere that you need to have the Subwoofer selections as "Plus" (not sure what that means or why" but if i select small for the main speakers the plus option for the SW disappears. I'll try this evening.

amielp

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
turns out it was the subwoofer! I know it worked fine just a few weeks ago. But my son brought his sub over and all is working fine now. thanks for taking the time to answer!