Cant get the format to internal storage button

Sunflower10466

Prominent
May 24, 2017
I am trying to get more storage on my lg k 10 but I do not have the option to fomat to internal storage. Is there a solution

Solution
I am assuming you are referring to making an SD card "Internal" rather than "External" storage. If that is the case, you would need the following info.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start...
I am assuming you are referring to making an SD card "Internal" rather than "External" storage. If that is the case, you would need the following info.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
Feb 10, 2018
OK, IDK if it will work on your phone I was having the same issue with not having the option of formatting as internal storage. I found by virtue of my 32 SD card becoming corrupt. So here's what you do.

What you will need
New class 10 SD card
Adapter for computer

Instructions
1. Place new card in your phone and allow it to be formatted as portable storage
2. Take a random photograph
3. Remove card without unmounting
4. Put card in adapter and put into computer
5. Open any folder and navigate to 'this pc' folder and open it
6. Right click on SDcard and select format
7. In format window under File system select NTFS under Allocation Unit Size select 4096 press start and press yes and ok to next to pop-ups. remove the card without ejecting.
8. Put the card back in your phone
9. In notifications bar, there should be a notice saying the card is corrupted. Click notice and follow prompts to format as internal storage.

** you will get a pop saying something about apps being slow but since its a class 10 card you should not have an issue
*** To check that it has taken Settings > Storage SD card should now have changed color. (on both of the phones I did it went from grey/black to a purplish)
**** To move apps go to setting > apps > select app. If it is able to move it will have a new button called CHANGE

I know this sounds messed up but it worked for 2 cards in two different phones

Oct 31, 2018

This worked for me also