Cant hear sound from entertainment system with laptop

alphaphox

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
Pioneer - 700W 5.2-Ch. 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver

Hello, I've been trying to figure out why I cannot hear sound from the receiver's speakers for the longest now.

I have it set up like so

HDMI from receiver 1 into laptop ( windows 7 )
and the OUTPUT from receiver is in the tv ( Vizio E601i-A3 LED TV )

I see my laptop on the TV but I get no sound and there really isnt any settings to tweak from the receiver to adjust that ?

The settings on my laptop is set to play sounds from HDMI. I dont understand whats wrong.

and HDMI from TV to laptop works fine. I get garbage sound from the TV screen.

Solution
Two things could be wrong.

1) The computer isn't detecting the HDMI can output sound. This could either be because the drivers aren't loaded, or the drivers aren't loadING when needed.

Try searching for new hardware...
Assuming you're running anything since Windows 98, hit WIN+R and type in "DEVMGMT.MSC"
Click on any of the devices shown there... (This is because the action menu won't populate until you have selected something...)
Click Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes

The system will search for any hardware, and try to install drivers... make sure the HDMI devices didn't show up under the "Other" group. (If they're there, either the Windows Update is set to not go online, or it's not able to find the drivers - you'll have to...

yremogtnom

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Two things could be wrong.

1) The computer isn't detecting the HDMI can output sound. This could either be because the drivers aren't loaded, or the drivers aren't loadING when needed.

Try searching for new hardware...
Assuming you're running anything since Windows 98, hit WIN+R and type in "DEVMGMT.MSC"
Click on any of the devices shown there... (This is because the action menu won't populate until you have selected something...)
Click Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes

The system will search for any hardware, and try to install drivers... make sure the HDMI devices didn't show up under the "Other" group. (If they're there, either the Windows Update is set to not go online, or it's not able to find the drivers - you'll have to find and install them yourself; check the receiver's manufacturer website.)

OR

2) The sound output is set to the wrong device - the speaker out or headphone out for the laptop.
If this is the case, the speaker icon will be in the taskbar, but you won't have any output... right-click the speaker icon, and choose "Playback Devices"
There, you should see your HDMI output (assuming #1was successful or unneeded.)
Right-Click on the device, and then "Set as Default Device"

You might need to reboot with everything connected, and the receiver set to output from the HDMI connection the laptop's on in order for it all to work correctly, but that should fix the problem for you.
I've had personal experience with this one... if the HDMI connection's not live at boot (meaning the path for the receiver is to the BR player, Playstation, etc.) then I have to manually enable the HDMI audio every time. If it's set at boot, no problems. (Resets my resolution too....)

Good luck!

Solution