Cant install any OS on a Sony VAIO laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoParagon

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Its really getting on my nerves, i took this laptop from a friend and it already had a weird, sort of custom version of Vista installed that was working horribly. So i formatted the HDD and went on to install a fresh copy of Windows, and the problem started.

I tried every OS i had at my disposal. From Windows XP to Windows 10, and also tried Kali, Ubuntu, and Fedora Linux. XP installation wont start, Vista freezes, and from Windows 7 to 10, and Linux, it says it cant find CD/DVD/USB drivers in installation media. I tried installing from its Blu-Ray/DVD drive, and from a bootable USB. I took out its HDD and put it in my PC to check for errors, it was perfectly fine, i even installed Windows 7 on it.

Laptop model is Sony Vaio PCG-391M VGN-FZ21S

Solution
Problem fixed, i just used another USB thumb drive. I dont know how that fixed it, because the other USB works perfectly on my PC. Thanks anyway for everyone who took their time to look at my problem :)

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
did you try installing xp/vista on the hdd whilst it was in your pc, then putting it into the laptop?

any version of windows prior to 10 has a 50/50 chance to lock to mobo (guesstimated) and the lock is only valid per instal, which means you can keep re-installing until you have a version of windows that doesnt care what pc you out the hdd into.

make sure you install the drivers for the laptop whilst the hdd is in your pc.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
Sony Vaio from that era are problematic when it comes to installing/reinstalling Windows. Your best (and likely only) bet is to obtain the restore DVD/DVD's for that model either from Sony (likely no longer available as they sold off the Vaio line a few years ago) or eBay, or the like.

XenoParagon

Prominent
May 7, 2017

I tried it once with WIndows 7 and Windows 10, it crashed to BlueScreen during boot. But are you saying if i keep reinstalling it, it might work?

XenoParagon

Prominent
May 7, 2017

eBay is not an option for me, because i live in eastern europe.

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
windows 7 can be re-installed until you stumble across an install that isnt locked (free to put hdd into any pc and it logs to windows) windows 10 cannot because of the shoddy programming.

i cannot vouch for whether it will make the vaio usable on basic install because all the sony stuff requires the specific sony drivers as they love to fiddle with them using their own update program (not using windows updater). but if you happen to have all the sony drivers for your laptop, ensure they are also installed on the windows 7 hdd before you put it into the laptop (this will increase the chance of a working laptop).

doesnt sony keep a downloadable iso on their site which you could dl?

XenoParagon

Prominent
May 7, 2017

I looked everywhere for the ISO, but couldn't find it. I will try again with HDD in PC method later when i get home :)

XenoParagon

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Problem fixed, i just used another USB thumb drive. I dont know how that fixed it, because the other USB works perfectly on my PC. Thanks anyway for everyone who took their time to look at my problem :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.