Solved! Can't mount sd card in samsung galaxy 5

Oct 26, 2018
I just bought a brand new 16gb micro sd card (strontium brand) to expand the memory in my samsung galaxy s5 a little bit.
I've put the card into the back of the phone and gone to settings and storage. I can't select "mount sd card" and can't copy anything over to the card bacuse the phone isn't recognising it (it say's "insert sd card")
What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it please

Solution
If you have a full size SdCard carrier, take the micro out of the phone and put it in your PC or laptop. Check in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management that it shows up as a drive and format it in FAT.

Then check in Windows File Explorer that it shows up with a drive letter and copy a file on to tit to prove it can store data.

Use the safely eject option before taking it out and put it back in the phone while it is switched off. Turn the phone on and see if it shows.
If you have a full size SdCard carrier, take the micro out of the phone and put it in your PC or laptop. Check in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management that it shows up as a drive and format it in FAT.

Then check in Windows File Explorer that it shows up with a drive letter and copy a file on to tit to prove it can store data.

Use the safely eject option before taking it out and put it back in the phone while it is switched off. Turn the phone on and see if it shows.

Solution
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks @Saga Lout but I don't have an SD carrier. Looks like I need to go to the shops again :(
And how do I check the format of the card / format it in FAT?

The carrier costs little more than pennies, cents or any other small amount of money. It's only a full sized SdCard with a tiny sleeve at the top to house the micro card.

When you can see the file in Windows, right click and go to Properties. That will tell you if it's formatted. If it isn't, it's the other option above.