Can't recover windows 7 on toshiba laptop

UByankees

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Toshiba laptop wouldn't get past logo. went into Bios changed sata setting to compatibility. Booted from a made startup cd. Made it to system recovery options screen Now I can go no further Startup repair can't repair computer Got the message, HARD DISK PROBLEM IS PREVENTING WINDOWS FROM STARTING. Diagnostic Repair says bad hard disk. Should I give up or is their any other solutions to try. Thanks for your help..

Solution
Assuming the pending repair is the one Checkdisk is attempting, it doesn't sound too good for the hard disk. I suggest you buy a USB caddy to slave that disk to another PC and rescue your personal files while you can. There's probably a hatch on the base with the little disk icon and that's whereto find it.

Then it would be worth running Checkdisk in that machine, replacing C: with the drive letter the PC allocates to the disk.
You could try the Command Prompt inStartUp repair then use that to run Checkdisk. Use the syntax
chkdsk c: /r

then hit teh Enter key and the system will try to fix any errors it finds on the disk.

After that, use the same Command form to run
sfc /scannow
then hit Enter. The System File Checker will run through and, hopefully, replace any missing or corrupted file with an original new one.

UByankees

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
I was able to run chkdsk and it did find and fix several errors. I am not able to run sfc/scannow because it says their is a repair pending. I have rebooted but the repair is still pending. I am still booting from a startup disk. when I try to boot without the disk I get a blue screen which just flashes with code for 2 seconds and the pc reboots again repeating the same process. Any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Assuming the pending repair is the one Checkdisk is attempting, it doesn't sound too good for the hard disk. I suggest you buy a USB caddy to slave that disk to another PC and rescue your personal files while you can. There's probably a hatch on the base with the little disk icon and that's whereto find it.

Then it would be worth running Checkdisk in that machine, replacing C: with the drive letter the PC allocates to the disk.

Solution