Can't Stream anything anymore?

mjacqu4

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hello,

I consider myself fairly good with computers (I have a B.S in comp-sci) but I have been having an odd problem lately. I can no longer watch youtube or stream anything (pandora, online videos, etc.) on my computer. I'm running windows 7 with 6 gig ram and an Intel i5 2.5GHz. Youtube will load about 5 seconds of video then stop and pandora works on occasion but I usually get the first 30 seconds or so of a song then just choppy skipping after that. I have tried using chrome, firefox, opera and IE and the problem persists across all browsers.

I find this particularly odd because I play a few relativity high-end online video games which run perfectly. Also, when I first got this computer about 6 months ago, these things worked fine, this has only been going on about a month. I have run virus scans, spyware scans, and I even restored my computer state back before this issue and I still can't use these things.

Is there something I have missed? Anyone know what could possibly cause this annoying problem? Thanks.

Matt

sincreator

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Update Adobe Flash player, Java, and make sure to try reinstalling/updating your graphics drivers. Also, in I.E. you can set advanced properties to use software decoding instead of hardware. Try this stuff and report back.

mjacqu4

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
The IE thing just made it worse. I was just getting green cubes on youtube instead of the usual 5-10 seconds of normal video. I updated Java and Flash and restarted my computer. Still the same. I usually use wifi, but when I plug in its the same problem. I didn't do my video drivers, but as I said I preform graphics intensive operations all the time with no issue, and things like Pandora that have no video rendering have the same problem so I really don't think thats the issue. If you REALLY think it will help I will do it but it seems like a pain.

Is it something with the way my computer is buffering things? everything works perfectly and loads right away for the first 5-10 seconds then it completely stops. I don't know too much about networking and things but it seems like its filling up some sort of buffer and then just stopping.

mjacqu4

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Its saying "Download Test Error". I'm on campus right now and I don't think the school's network likes whatever its trying to do. Ill try it when I get home, but I realllllly don't think its the internet speed. I have tried to load videos in multiple locations, with multiple ISP's and furthermore, I can play online games perfectly and download large files very quickly. Can that tool diagnose more complex issues or is it just a measure of connection speed?

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, try it at home. If you still get "Download Test Error," then somehow you just aren't getting stable data via the Internet. Also run CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) to clean up the junk and use CCleaner's registry fix (be sure to backup your current registry when CCleaner asks). By the way, what applications are running in the background?

mjacqu4

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I am going to run the speed thing again, but why are only these types of things affected. I can open two large online games at once and have no performance issues but i cant load a youtube video? This just doesn't make sense to me and it seems to me that the issue isn't connection speed related. I am aware that different protocols are generally used to deliver streaming data... but its not like these things load slowly. They stop loading always at the same time in.

I ran the cleaner and restarted my computer. I used Spybot Search and Destroy to prevent any unneccessary background applications from opening and tried it again. Still same problem. Loaded 10 seconds of a you tube video then stopped. Tried pandora again as well. Played about 10-15 seconds of a song then stopped.

Is this a Flash issue? I re installed the latest version and as I understand it, chrome has flash "built in." It seems like everything I have trouble with uses flash but as far as I can tell flash is all up to date.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
It is possible you have a rootkit try these programs:
malwarebytes anti-rootkit make sure you update before scan.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-rootkit/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Run them in that order and try again

Also if it does not fix it try html5 version of youtube and let us know if it works then it's a flash issue.

mjacqu4

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Works fine with HTML5... I tried reinstalling flash again and for some reason I can't get a valid .exe from adobe. I tried several times and it keeps saying "not a valid win32 application." I have a 64 bit system and I made sure to get the proper version but it still gives that error. Any suggestions?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Looks like you have a rootkit/virus follow the instructions above.