Capacitor not working in Monitor

XeroJager

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hey guys, first off i'd like to say Hi, how are ya'll doing.

Anyways straight to the point, i have a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV30s that i've had for a bit of time now, and they sound fantastic, but only recently have they run into an issue.

These are speakers that have one active powered master, and one passive slave.
The passive speaker works fine, as it should, but the master suddenly started to play everything at low volume, regardless if the balance of any program was set even.

So, being a curious guy, i cracked open the monitor, and the first thing that falls out is a casing from a 220farad, 25 volt capacitor. So immeditately i go to look for the one with the missing case, and sure enough, one of the capacitors have blown, and the one right next to it was bulging.

I went to radio shack today, to buy new ones, same farad measurement, 220, but 35 volt cap this time. I removed the old ones, and installed the new ones without trouble, soldering went in cleanly.

Problem i'm facing now is, the passive speaker still works fine, but the active is even LOWER volume than before, so low to where you can BARELY hear it, when the other channel is extremely high.

Any shots?

G

Which kinda reinforces the point made in relation to flatscreens (where capacitor failure is common) that not all failed capacitors bulge obviously but if one has gone, the others of similar value might as well be replaced while you're at it as capacitors are cheap and relatively easy to extract (solder pump helps).