Capcom: Sony Breach Could Cost Us Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
How MVC3 doing? SSF4 Arcade coming out well?

You know... I'm not even gonna joke about it, now it's kinda sad. Poor Indies that put all their eggs on the Sony basket... Now MS is prolly gonna take a bigger cut of the pie just because "we don't get hacked", lol.

Cheers!

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Let me rephrase that. Everyone who isn't using a NFC firewall get's hacked.
NFC firewalls best in the industry - Not effing Connected!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jokerjokerjoker[/nom]Whoop de fucking do so get a loan[/citation]
From who, you? Losers like you think it is so easy for companies to get millions of dollars never considering that companies are made up of people. People like your father who probably pays for you to sit around on your lazy ass all day while other people go to work and make all the things you enjoy possible while you sit around and mock them.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Xbox Live has been hacked four years ago:http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security [...] stolen/131Now we just need to wait for Steam and WiiWare to get hacked.[/citation]

I do believe that was only social engineering... Sony ACTUALLY got hacked.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Xbox Live has been hacked four years ago:http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security [...] stolen/131Now we just need to wait for Steam and WiiWare to get hacked.[/citation]

OK, sorry, but there is a difference between individual accounts getting cracked based on personal information which happens everyday, than a full network of 70 million users getting brought down for over a month possibly and tons of personal information leaked.

G

Well a wake up call for the industry happens sooner or later. In fact, the lack of response from the public means that there is going to be a bigger hack that crashes a bigger and more important network in the future.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Indies should probably band together and file a class action lawsuit against Sony for negligence resulting in losses in revenue.

G

This article is one way of perceiving it. Or the other is that messing with hackers will result in attacks such as this. And if you plan on doing that you should have the best security available. Sony didnt bother to do this when they went after hackers knowing that there would be a high probability of a counter attack. As a result they are now taking the time to implement the best security on our time when they should have done it prior to sticking their neck out attempting to cleanse the world of the hackers that affect their business without taking proper precautions. So regardless of if this is a proper viewpoint as to what happened or not, Sony would blame the hackers for a mess that could have been avoided if they took the proper precautions in playing with a grenade that was going to blow. I am negatively affected by this outcome, but I dont blame the hackers. I blame those that had the legal responsibility to make smart decisions in ensuring that data is properly protected in the conditions they put themselves in.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is what happens when a company distribute their goods in a way that requires a single Internet entity to be up. Harsh lesson but it might be time to review the future strategies and what distribution channels / platforms to support. Don't put all eggs in one basket, you risk loosing it all!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
capcom can go f themselves.

costing them millions?

yea, selling the rest of the content from the games we by from them, big business. i hope they tank, and other, more consumer friendly companies get their products.

take a look at street fighter 4 alt costumes or resident evil online play, i believe both were on disc dlc (online play was a 650k patch if i remember right) and the alt costumes, they were in the arcade version i believe 6 months before the home console release.

G

what if there was no hacker, and this is an elaborate hoax by Sony to get 70 million users on the paid service. Even if half stay and purchase yearly accounts, they could net 200 million in user fees in just this year. Not to mention the potential for future years growth.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Jugaholic[/nom]what if there was no hacker, and this is an elaborate hoax by Sony to get 70 million users on the paid service. Even if half stay and purchase yearly accounts, they could net 200 million in user fees in just this year. Not to mention the potential for future years growth.[/citation]
this is costing sony 1.8-2.8 billion dollars and credibility they will ever get back

Status
Not open for further replies.