Car Sub/Amplifier used with Yamaha HTR-5990

Mar 17, 2018
I have read a bunch of threads on this issue. I plan to use a computer power supply to power the car amp. My question is exactly how do I connect the car amp to the Yamaha receiver? I know its an RCA cable from car amp to Yamaha but could someone tell me exactly where/how I connect to the Yamaha.

Also, since I am using the car amp I wont have issues with impedance correct??

Solution
the HTR-5990 has a subwoofer output in the "pre-out" connectors that are right next to the surround speaker terminals - that should be the right one.

I am doing the same with a Onkyo AVR that has an "LFE" output to my Boss R1100M L/R inputs using an RCA Y cable similar to this one. The Boss is connected to a 15" passive sub that has dual-voice coils I was able to bridge in series to get it to 8-ohm, but you should not have any problems with using a 4-ohm sub aside from more level and volume adjustments.
the HTR-5990 has a subwoofer output in the "pre-out" connectors that are right next to the surround speaker terminals - that should be the right one.

I am doing the same with a Onkyo AVR that has an "LFE" output to my Boss R1100M L/R inputs using an RCA Y cable similar to this one. The Boss is connected to a 15" passive sub that has dual-voice coils I was able to bridge in series to get it to 8-ohm, but you should not have any problems with using a 4-ohm sub aside from more level and volume adjustments.

Solution
Mar 17, 2018

I'm confused about something. If my sub is being powered by its' own amp I don't need to worry about matching the subs impedance with the main receiver (the HRT-5990), correct? The RCA will send the signal from the receiver subwoofer jack to the sub amplifier. The sub amplifier output and the sub speakers impedance need to match.

That is exactly right, since it's line-level out to the LFE there will be no matching issues as far as the amp to speaker connection goes so using the 4-ohm will not be a problem.

I only did it since I was able to with the voice coil setup and my amp can handle 8-ohm no problem, was more of a coincidence than a requirement.