Casio's Super-tough G-Shock Smartphone Looks Indestructible

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
An average tech guy upgrade their phone once a year. And I believe most tom's reader are.

IMHO toms is not a good place for G-Shock to advertise... :D

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]TheMaristBoy[/nom]But I bet my 3310 is still tougher[/citation]

Had one of those myself, the good old nokia 3310 I assume your talking about. Thing lasted me over 3 years of heavy abuse till it bit the dust. In the end I had to hit the phone to hang up till i got to the point where i had to hit the phone against pavement to hang up. People thought I was crazy because they hear me say something like "Bye Mom" and than proceed to bang my phone against the curb, but it was the only way to hang up.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]But will it blend?[/citation]
My old nokia 3310, I don't think it blend that sucker was a tank :)

Now this smartphone, yeah I bet it will, its not a tank it's just padded in rubber, but we better try just for the sake of science to prove weither or not I am right or wrong :)

When were done with that we can call Mythbusters to shoot one out of a cannon in the name of science.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]An average tech guy with a job upgrade their phone once a year.[/citation]

Fixed.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
one way to find out whats tougher between this and the 3310 is to fire the 3310 from a cannon and see how much damage it does to the other phone

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
It's oversized for a watch, and looks to awkward for a phone. I would rather have a smart watch phone in the shape of G-shock, but with functions of smartphone....but of course, the screen would be awfully small...but it'll be cool!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Had one of those myself, the good old nokia 3310 I assume your talking about. Thing lasted me over 3 years of heavy abuse till it bit the dust. In the end I had to hit the phone to hang up till i got to the point where i had to hit the phone against pavement to hang up. People thought I was crazy because they hear me say something like "Bye Mom" and than proceed to bang my phone against the curb, but it was the only way to hang up.[/citation]only 3? im still on my samsung gravity going on my 4th year, i pee;d on it in the first... thing just doesnt wanna die, can still hold a charge for more than a day

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]only 3? im still on my samsung gravity going on my 4th year, i pee;d on it in the first... thing just doesnt wanna die, can still hold a charge for more than a day[/citation]

It was HEAVILY abused. It was exposed to water a lot, I use to walk from one class to another campus a little over a mile away and when it was raining I be drenched and sometimes the phone. As all my jacket did in that weather sometimes was just stop the wind and funnel the water down my jacket. I also use to leave it in my cargo pocket so it would frequently hit doors and other such things on a daily basis. And when I left it in my backpack it would always find it's way to the bottom and I always tossed my backpack around which weighed 50+ pounds. Still never pee'd on a phone though, I'm sorry but that takes talent and I hope a lot of good booze was involved, as it sounds like the start of a good story.

Phone after that I had I accidently walked into a lake to push out a boat, killed a lot of pixels on the screen on that one.

3rd phone didn't die or anything.

4th one bit the dust prematurely when I touched it with a slightly damp hand the water somehow seeped into the keypad and fried it.

5th one my droid incredible is still chugging along, minus the annoying software issues I have with it. But hardware wise its good, I just may end up rooting it to fix the thing.

G

well my 3310 still works as of now, got it in 2001
use it only when all other phones die on me
-_-

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Older phones are way, WAY tougher. I had an Ericsson A1228D that once fell from 3 stories high (about 30 feet) and the only damage was a slightly bent antenna.

This one is only covered in rubber and well sealed, nothing too fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.