Discussion Caveat Emptor

nidany

Honorable
Sep 29, 2014
A few weeks ago, I’ve decided to order an AMD 3900/3950x (eco mode) laptop.

I don’t need it for gaming but for mathematical/statistical/engineering/graphics programs, some of which can utilize the multiple cores of these CPU’s.

A few of these programs are very disk intensive. That is why I preferred PCIe 4.0 support for the storage. (e.g. Seagate FireCuda 520).

Problem is that all (or most) machines on the market are Clevo laptops (under various names) using only the B450 chipset which does not support PCIe 4.0 for storage. (At least, that's what AMD claims).

I’d like to share with you my good as well as bad experiences with the various vendors who offer the a/m laptops.

Let’s start with the good guys:

HiDevolution:

They simply do not offer a PCIE 4.0 SSD at all. Their sales representative, Donald Stratton, told me, flat & square, that the B450 motherboard does not support PCIe 4.0 and that’s the reason why they won’t offer 4.0 compatible disks.

10 out of 10 in being honest with a customer.

Bestware.com (Schenker Technologies GmbH)

They do offer the Firecuda 520 with their Ryzen 9 laptops.

Only after explicitly asking them about PCIe 4.0 performance, their sales representative, William Börjesson, admitted embarrassedly that “The Seagate FireCuda 520 works with PCIe 3.0 too, but it will not reach advertised speeds.”.

7 out of 10 for honesty.

Now to the bad guys:

Origin PC

They do offer the Firecuda 520.

I asked them: “You offer the 2TB Firecuda 520 NVMe which is a PCIe gen 4.0. Does the motherboard really support PCIe 4.0?”

Their sales representative, Jacob Neta, answered confidently: “yes”.

I was quite surprised, so I asked: “What chipset do you use for the PCIe 4.0 storage support? I know that the B450 does not support it.”

Jacob Neta was not a person to be confused by facts, so he promptly replied: “Unfortunately we don't have those details, but it supports Gen 4 Fire Cuda's”

I then dared to ask him: “I need to know the AM4 motherboard model for various reasons. I’d be grateful for this info. I’m certain that your technical staff knows the answer.”

I never got any answer for this.

Good Jacob has disappeared from the face of the Earth.

0 out of 10 for honesty.

I leave you to draw yourselves the conclusion from which vendor to buy your next laptop.

ASK THE COMMUNITY