CCleaner showing that I have 146GB of System - Temporary Files

astrospud

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I ran CCleaner for the first time today, and it's coming up with 146GB of System - Temporary Files. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it, but when I go on detailed results, most of it says After Effects, not sure why. I'm afraid of running cleaner in case it screws something up. It's also showing 80GB of Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files, and that seems like a lot of websites cached or something.

Please tell me whether or not I should just run the clean. It would free about a third of my total used space, 931GB, 349 used, 152 to clean.

Update:
Thanks guys, I did another search about all the after effects files. It turns out that it keeps a huge cache of all projects, can get to 100+GB, and that's what I had, ran the clean and back to a more reasonable 196GB used.

Solution
Yup, it's totally safe to clean both the System and Internet Explorer temporary files. CCleaner is a very good and extremely safe software and if you clean those, you will remove some pretty useless junk from your system. In fact, it is safe to use it to clean up at least once every week. Just go ahead :)

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Yup, it's totally safe to clean both the System and Internet Explorer temporary files. CCleaner is a very good and extremely safe software and if you clean those, you will remove some pretty useless junk from your system. In fact, it is safe to use it to clean up at least once every week. Just go ahead :)

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well everytime you go to a website for the first time. It captures things like pictures that are big so pages load faster (from drive and not downloaded everytime from internet when you go to a site). You should run it at least once a month. Plus when you install software files are left in temp folder and also malware sometime installs in temp file folders.