Solved! Certain Keys on Laptop Keyboard Aren't Functioning

Apr 7, 2022
Right now, I'm using Asus ROG Strix G531G-DBQ086T. I once used Driver Easy to update my laptop drivers and I think it was a bad idea.

My Q, X, C & V keys aren't working at all. The backlight of the keys' are okay but when I pressed it, it didn't give any output nor response. I have to use external keyboard for now. I've tried reinstall the HID Keyboard driver and PC/AT Enhance PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key) driver at Device Manager but still not fixed.

Do anyone know the other solutions for this type of problem?

Please help me :')

Solution
It's likely those keys are bad. Are those keys that happen to be used frequently for gaming? Q and X aren't keys you would use a lot and wear out. If ASUS has a diagnostic program for you laptop, run it and see if there is a keyboard test. That should bypass the Windows drivers so you can be sure the keys are actually broken. I personally avoid any driver replacement programs like the plaque as there is no assurance of what you are getting. Stick with Windows update, the vendors updates and possibly the Intel or AMD update sites.

Unless you can run a keyboard diagnostic, there is no way to know for sure the the problem is HW or SW. If you haven't reinstalled Windows for a while, you might want to consider that. That is a long process...
It's likely those keys are bad. Are those keys that happen to be used frequently for gaming? Q and X aren't keys you would use a lot and wear out. If ASUS has a diagnostic program for you laptop, run it and see if there is a keyboard test. That should bypass the Windows drivers so you can be sure the keys are actually broken. I personally avoid any driver replacement programs like the plaque as there is no assurance of what you are getting. Stick with Windows update, the vendors updates and possibly the Intel or AMD update sites.

Unless you can run a keyboard diagnostic, there is no way to know for sure the the problem is HW or SW. If you haven't reinstalled Windows for a while, you might want to consider that. That is a long process as you need to do a clean reinstall and then restore all your programs and data.

Trying to repair individual keys is very difficult without considerable skill. If the KB is bad, you likely need a replacement keyboard.

Reactions: zrayds
Solution
Apr 7, 2022

Unless you can run a keyboard diagnostic, there is no way to know for sure the the problem is HW or SW. If you haven't reinstalled Windows for a while, you might want to consider that. That is a long process as you need to do a clean reinstall and then restore all your programs and data.

Trying to repair individual keys is very difficult without considerable skill. If the KB is bad, you likely need a replacement keyboard.

Thank you for your reply. :) It's very much appreciated