CES 2009 - Women Want What?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, most of these designs are so stupid I could imagine it selling well. I think I should paint pet rocks with warm colors and sell them to people as carry around pets.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Wow, most of these designs are so stupid I could imagine it selling well. I think I should paint pet rocks with warm colors and sell them to people as carry around pets.[/citation]
I agree--it amazes me that a coat of paint can make a product that much more appealing to someone. But apparently it works on the companies wouldn't do it...

G

Women love the color pink and as Apple has proved (IPod)that is all it takes to sell to them. Men on the other hands are idiots and they buy crap they dont need regardless of color.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Gender Critic,
Pink may have helped the iPod, but it was probably the fact that the iPod was a very well-designed product that led to its success (sold to men and women). I personally don't like pink, I so I'd like to see companies work a lot harder to sell to me that just slapping a coat of paint on something mediocre.

G

Now presentation is important and all tech does not have to be stark (black/white/silver) . . but making a boy/girl version or expecting woman to like it because it has a flower on it or is pink is insulting (like girl LEGOs . .WTF!).
Our pigeon hole society is telling us men = slick, black, functional and cares nothing over stark powerful functionality and the opposite for females = gimmicky, colorful, all form and the heck with function - as long as it is cute.
It is all a pile of C___ Stereotype.
ALL people like gadgets that combine function and form.

akandy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I guess gluing mirrors on to stuff would help so women can make sure they have a fresh coat of paint. Women like diamonds right? Men will buy girls rich stuff to shut them up and then they can sell it so they don't have to get a job in between men. How about a pepper spray phone? They need to be able to ward off all the unwanted ugly men while they walk around half dressed fishing for a hot guy. Put a mirror on it, paint it pink, put some diamonds in it, pepper spray, and make it vibrate. lol

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Ghettonizing this has to be the best thing if read yet. So many down right stupid product or ones that don't exist... I love it!

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
This article starts out by stating that it's not all about looks and colours, then in a way proves it is with the majority of the articles discussed.

It's all fine and dandy to want a "life style printer" that fits nicely with the couch instead of one that's chosen merely on specs; until you want to get some real work done, you have a deadline and a shitload of other things to do. Pink might be enough for girlies, but grown women need to get work done more so than just playing with gadgets.

The real secret of winning over people, is making intuitive products, where functionality doesn't get in the way of getting the job done; yet allowing more complex things if so required. It doesn't have much to do with male or female, rather with the mindset and focus of the person in that situation, and not getting in the way of his/her activities or indeed life itself.

For instance, I'm a decent photographer. Sometimes I like to do highly technical shots that take a lot of time to prepare. But sometimes, I would also just like to point-and-shoot without fiddling any buttons and get on with the party. If products would be designed in such a way they can handle these two extremes well, they would appeal to the largest group of people – either male or female.

I'm not an Apple fan, but they seem to attract a lot of less technical people – and yes, women – with their stylish and intuitive products; so I guess Apple understands this fine line between usability and functionality.

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
Pink is stupid... Its the stereotypes that blind manufacturers...

C'mon, just because it's pink doesn't make girls buy the product...

I prefer a light green-blue.

G

I understand the amdfangirl point as is the logical point of view, but also you have to understand that stereotypes exists because is the way of human thinking, so many people follows that pre-made point of view as the normal way. Manufacturers know this and uses it as another way to make profit. Sterotypes makes money.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I'm lost, basically they're changing the electronic market to suit women needs?

Why does this anger me? Not sure what to think here, should i think that women are becomming snobby and are manipulating the "sexism" string to get more and more of what they want..

Or should i think that these markets are just going to mainly go the female way because they buy buy buy?

Or should i just sit back and not care?

G

Man and Woman likes different things. Why don't we just accept what each gender likes. I think what manufacturer is doing is just to satisfy each gender. You cannot change what man likes and what woman likes. If a man likes Black, that's fine. If woman likes pink that's fine. Then everyone is happy. You see man and woman will never have the same thinking and ideas with a lot of stuff. And color for example is one of them. I don't see these products offending for specific gender. They just want to please everyone. After all, man has pe--s while women has va--na. Thanks.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation]Man and Woman likes different things. Why don't we just accept what each gender likes. I think what manufacturer is doing is just to satisfy each gender. You cannot change what man likes and what woman likes. If a man likes Black, that's fine. If woman likes pink that's fine. Then everyone is happy. You see man and woman will never have the same thinking and ideas with a lot of stuff. And color for example is one of them. I don't see these products offending for specific gender. They just want to please everyone. After all, man has pe--s while women has va--na. Thanks.[/citation]

We're aware. What I worry about is what the quantities will be like. If we start making 2 types of devices, one specifically for men, and one specifically for women, overtime they will make more of the device that sells. May it be for women, or men, one sex is going to start missing out because the quantities will be very low for either the male or female depending on sales.

malakipaa

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I don't think we have to worry about quantities made for specific gender, cause it all goes back to Supply and demand thing. Manufacturer might not realize it right away, but time will tell for them. If there's no demand for the gender, then they won't manufacture it. If they do, then they'll go out of business. I believe most manufacturer are just trying to survive specially now because of economy.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom][citation]Man and Woman likes different things. Why don't we just accept what each gender likes. I think what manufacturer is doing is just to satisfy each gender. You cannot change what man likes and what woman likes. If a man likes Black, that's fine. If woman likes pink that's fine. Then everyone is happy. You see man and woman will never have the same thinking and ideas with a lot of stuff. And color for example is one of them. I don't see these products offending for specific gender. They just want to please everyone. After all, man has pe--s while women has va--na. Thanks.[/citation]We're aware. What I worry about is what the quantities will be like. If we start making 2 types of devices, one specifically for men, and one specifically for women, overtime they will make more of the device that sells. May it be for women, or men, one sex is going to start missing out because the quantities will be very low for either the male or female depending on sales.[/citation]

Sacre,
The designers at the panel discussion agree with you--they don't want to see one product for men and one for women. They want manufacturers to create products that appeal to both at the same time, and I believe that is possible. Color is just one part of the equation, I'm sure we can all agree.

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

A good female friend of mine spent 300 dollars more on the pink laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.