CES 2010: Television Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
While I agree that all this new technology is pretty cool and exciting, I think it's kind of.. pointless? At least for the moment it is. HDTVs are becoming more mainstream than ever but there still isn't a whole lot of HD media. You have: blu-ray and the hd channels (which are really only 720p). My point is, before we get all excited about 3D and ultra mega quad HD displays, maybe we should try to utilize what we already have and stop fantasizing.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
3D is going to be a total fad/gimmick/niche market until they can figure a way to produce a quality 3D image at all angles without having to wear some sort of stupid glasses.

joaomsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I still don't know what the 3D has that is different from normal TV. As far as I concerned the only difference is in the content, or has every movie theater been upgraded to 3D Theaters? I think the only new stuff we would need to buy is the glasses.
It seens that the industry is trying to make us spend more money for the same stuff with a new logo.

Guys if I said something wrong please enlight me.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
They aren't kidding when they say that plasma tv's run hot. Mine gives off enough heat to warm my apartment in beautiful sunny southern Arizona where the sun shines 350 days a year. The real problem is in the Summer when temperatures regularly exceed 100F.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
2160p is not totally correct Devin, since the panels are fed by four 1080p signals, not one progressive signal. I believe the correct definition used when these panels first came to market a few years ago was QFHD, or quad-full HD. These panels are also unsuitable for video (hence all the demos showing still images) because there is as yet no device available that can feed/process QFHD resolutions at motion picture frame rates. It will take many years before US broadcast TV even approaches that resolution, and at the moment, unless you have a beefy set of video cards in your workstation to feed those four 1080p signals in parallel, you won't be hooking these monitors into anything else.

Engineering schematics, artwork, mapping, satellite imaging etc. is what these panels are being used for.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@joaomsc:
I suspect that non-3D sets cannot display 3D video because of time-based noise reduction, de-interlacing, and other video processing technologies that expect 4 consecutive frames to contain 4 consecutive time-spaced representations of the same scene, rather than 2 time-spaced representations of two different (but similar) scenes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were true with my KDL-46XBR3, even with all noise reduction features turned off and configured to receive a PC, HDMI or DVI input at native resolution with no scaling. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.