CES Finds: Overhyped or Buzzworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

While I agree with you on the disconnect between Zii and stemcells relating to the name, if you were to have looked behind the guy from New Zealand (light blue shirt) you would have seen a functioning teraflop computer based on their chips. Amazingly compact and didn't seem to generate much heat. Other displays had working examples of the Zii chip doing video processing as well. The things appeared to work quite well ... of course, CES is the "Land of the prototype"

2fast2furious

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
From an average consumer point-of-view, I think that the Zii is really cool. If the video is to be believed, I'm really looking forward to the next Zii-based device which is able to playback HD videos, render 3D graphics, has long battery life etc. I saw from another article that the reason the Zii is called steamcell computing is due to the fact that the processing elements in the chip are only assigned a task when instructed by the device (the human stemcell can also be allocated a certain function) and therefore is very flexible. I think there are more technical data at www.ziilabs.com if you're interested. P.S. Why do you say that the chip can't scale to the point claimed and what is it about the OS?

G

In order to scale to the point claimed in the video on their web site, you would need extraordinarily fast crossbar elements to keep all the processors humming. I see none of that design in the web site graphic. The OS has to be very efficient at parsing tasks to the various processors, serving them up, and funneling the completed calculations to appropriate storage or caching. That's why most designs use some other processors (like the Cell and AMD combo, that run a version of RedHat and a controlling systems software)to run like a traffic cop. I don't think that this chip could run like that, at least, not in its present form. In the example of the teraflop computer, above, the system is not doing something (besides a benchmark) that would be useful in the supercomputer world. Like some overclockers, because you can theoretically run a calculation fast does not a system make. The ARM chips for instance, are created on 130 nm CMOS process, and the sheets say that it is good at 720p scaling (when you really want 1080p minimum scaling). And I saw 4K displays at CES, though they aren't ready for prime time. That doesn't mean that this isn't a good design for video processing. Or that furture programming, and running multiple chips together, would not be really great in hand held and other smale video/media devices. But a supercomputer, to do weather forecasting, protein folding, and nuclear weapons stockpile decay? Really.

To address a second point: human stem cells pass along a programmed and path continuum, becoming increasingly differentiated. That process is thought to be goverend by checmical gradients, which change what genes are able to be expressed. I see nothing similar here, except for the overreaching analogy of making something generic something specific. But that ignores the myriad complexities of responding to the environment, and making semi-permanent changes to the cell make up to allow it be differentiated. And this says nothing about a process of dedifferentiation. Maybe I did too much molecular biology! Or maybe I have been burned by too many great ideas at CES/Comdex, that never achieved critical mass for one reason or another. Good comments, though, and I will also keep a close watch on this, the potential is there...

Inneandar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I have to agree with both of you. If it is able do perform what is promised it might be cool for consumer devices. Maybe for some heavier computing too, but common... that video is borderline ridiculous (and on the wrong side of the border too, if you ask me). For sure they are not the first shouting about a flexible, multiple-light-core solution, and they won't be the last. Get your act together and show something real, we'll judge afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.