CF adapter for Minolta Maxxum 5D

Nocurling

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
i have an old maxxum 5d with very few clicks on it. i'd like to switch from the CF chip to an SD chip, so i bought the SDXC/SDHC 6th generation Extreme CF adapter (type II) and a SanDisk 80mb SD chip (class 10). however, the camera won't format the chip.

given the age of the camera (~12 years old) i'm guessing now that i should have purchased a type I adapter instead, but before i do that i'd like to know whether this even has a chance of working.

anybody out there have any experience with this?

thanx,
peter

Solution
Cameras that old were never meant to do that. Most likely it's a Fat16 (2GB) or FAT32 device with a lower size limit than your memory size....

Except that "80mb (class 10)" sounds like a fake chinese ripoff that will never work. Sandisk never made a class 10 SD card smaller than 8gb
Cameras that old were never meant to do that. Most likely it's a Fat16 (2GB) or FAT32 device with a lower size limit than your memory size....

Except that "80mb (class 10)" sounds like a fake chinese ripoff that will never work. Sandisk never made a class 10 SD card smaller than 8gb

Solution

Maybe, but I highly doubt it. Most cameras that old only support up to about 16GB, if even that. It's cheap to get memory cards that work, so why not just do that?

bjornl

Estimable
Throwing money away.
That camera is only 6mp, fairly noisy and poor dynamic range. It was a lovely camera in it's day, I had the 7d and loved it. But it is so old and so out dated you can replace it quite cheaply with something which would produce far better results.