May 25, 2018
Daughter's Toshiba Satellite (Windows 10) C55D-B5308 DVD drive stopped working. Device manager shows no errors. uninstalled and reinstalled with no results. This PC shows as (D:). Have tried several disks. Ran Iobit Driver Booster. No results. Pulled CD tray out and placed in my Toshiba C55-B5302 (Windows 7) and it played a movie just fine.

Solution
Well, if the drive works in another laptop but doesn't work in the one it was in, it is either a connection problem or a motherboard problem. The connection issue could be fixed if you didn't mind taking it apart and properly seating the cables, but if it is a motherboard problem it is going to need a full motherboard replacement... at that point a new laptop might make more sense.

I should note that Windows 10 doesn't have a built in DVD player, but if you could see the disk name or the files on the disk then you'd know it was reading properly. Did you see that the disk was readable and it just wouldn't play? Because if that was the case, all you'd be lacking is software. You could go to the Windows Store and download a DVD player...

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Well, if the drive works in another laptop but doesn't work in the one it was in, it is either a connection problem or a motherboard problem. The connection issue could be fixed if you didn't mind taking it apart and properly seating the cables, but if it is a motherboard problem it is going to need a full motherboard replacement... at that point a new laptop might make more sense.

I should note that Windows 10 doesn't have a built in DVD player, but if you could see the disk name or the files on the disk then you'd know it was reading properly. Did you see that the disk was readable and it just wouldn't play? Because if that was the case, all you'd be lacking is software. You could go to the Windows Store and download a DVD player there or download VLC which will play DVDs or video files.

Solution