Change Macrium Reflect rescue media download location.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
I have installed Macrium Reflect and upon opening it it asks to download the rescue media files but I don't want to download them to my OS drive. There doesn't seem to be an option to change the download path. Can I download them from somewhere else to my data drive? or download through the app and then move them to my data drive?

Solution
http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Macrium+Reflect+v6+User+Guide

With the free version, you can make Full disk images and Differential images.

A Full is obviously that. An image of the whole drive.
Differential - "A differential image stores the changes that have been made to the imaged file system since the last full image. Subsequent differentials can be taken, but only one differential and the full are required in order to fully restore the system.
This is quicker than creating a full image, however the longer the time between the full and the differential, the larger the differential image file is and the longer it takes to create"

So, you create a full, and then a series of Differentials.

If I want to go...

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

What do you mean which drive? I have ssd for my OS and have a hdd for data/storage. I was thinking of storing the image on the hdd rather than my external hdd but the external sits right next to me so I could plug it in every time I know the backup schedule is about to start. What would you recommend?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Oh right ok. Something else that doesn't make sense is the retention rule for full images is set to retain them for 26 weeks yet my backup plan is set to do a full image once a week. This would mean having 26 full disk images stored all the time which would be a lot of drive space! I've realised though this is probably my mistake and that I can change the amount of weeks to retain the full images but what is the purpose of retaining them if in my case I'm creating new ones each week?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The Free version relies on their default retention settings. You need to change this before creating a scheduled backup

Other Tasks
Defaults
Retention Rules
Change it to what you wish, and then make a schedule.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

I'm referring to the retention rules of the backup plan which you can edit as shown in the pic below.

What is the idea behind keeping the full and differential backups? Are they like a fall back in case an image doesn't work? If I have my schedule set to create a new full image every week and to keep full images for two weeks does that mean it keeps the oldest two images every two weeks?

Macrium_edit_backup_plan.png

USAFRet

Illustrious
Multiple backups, because I may not know exactly when BadThing(tm) happened.

I can go back to whichever image works.

Full + Differential: Full is Monday, Differentials are whatever happened on Tuesday, Wednesday, etc, etc.
To reconstitute, you need the Full, and whichever days Differential you want.

'New Every Week' and 'Keep two weeks' means you have 2 Fulls, and whatever Differentials have happened in the interim. It deletes the previous (oldest) Full

Today is Tuesday. You make a Full on Mondays, and Differentials every day.
If you want to go back to the way the system was last Wednesday, you need the Monday before that, and the following Wednesday of that same week.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok I get it. Would it be best to to retain differentials for the same amount of time as the fulls though? I'm set to keep fulls for two weeks but differentials for 30 days. I mean there's not much point in keeping the differentials for the fulls that have been deleted is there?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Correct. A Differential with no previous Full is useless.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok. Is there any reason why the differential images are quite large? I've only done one differential so far but it is 6GB with rather minimal system changes as far as I know.

USAFRet

Illustrious

All depends on what your system did during that time.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of things. I may have more questions but not at this stage. Thanks for your help.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Hi again,

I've found that I don't have enough space on my external drive to maintain the backup schedule I've created. What does retain full images for two weeks actually mean? In my case I now have two full images with the most recent being created this Monday gone. I'm scheduled to create a full image every Monday with differentials on Wed,Fri,and Sun and to retain full images for 2 weeks and differentials for 14 days.

What would be a good way to reduce this until I'm able to get a bigger/dedicated drive for backing up? Would it best to retain two full images and have less differentials or just have one full image with differentials per week?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The differentials don't take up that much space, you wouldn't be saving much.

I would think just 1 Full, and then the differentials would work.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, sooner I get a dedicated drive the better. Is there a risk not having 1 or 2 fulls to fall back on?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Yeah, I never used to take backing up too seriously, well I did but I only ever backed up documents manually which wasn't very reliable anyway. Just about every major system problem I've had (dead hdd's etc) would have been rectified far more easily with a system image. I feel quite satisfied that I've taken the time to understand how to do image backups and I have a bit more peace of mind knowing it's backed up regularly.