changing cpu on aspire 5749Z to Intel Core i5

Travis_54

Prominent
May 3, 2017
hey,, i have an acer aspire 5749z,CPU intel core B960 processor ...can i change it to core i5 processor ....(ugent reply plz)

[Title edited for clarity - - - moderator]

Solution

If you want to keep a working system rather than having a possible faster one but risk having a dead one, I would not touch upgrading laptops. Yes you can damage your system while taking it apart, not likely just having the CPU in it will damage anything, it will likely either not work at all till you put the original one back, work but crash due to too much heat or power draw or work fine. Or you could end up with a dead system because something went wrong when doing the upgrade.

Do you want to take a chance to get a faster laptop? Up to you.

There was a post about someone that had two higher end gaming laptops, he...
Open the laptop and see if the CPU is in a soldered socket first step. If not, there is a chance it may work. Issue is that there is often not a good list or any list or supported CPUs by laptop model since they are not really made to be upgraded. You have to get lucky and find online someone that modified your model and it worked or cross your fingers and try it. I suggest keeping with the same wattage CPU as your current CPU, which probably rules out an i5.

If you want to keep a working system rather than having a possible faster one but risk having a dead one, I would not touch upgrading laptops. Yes you can damage your system while taking it apart, not likely just having the CPU in it will damage anything, it will likely either not work at all till you put the original one back, work but crash due to too much heat or power draw or work fine. Or you could end up with a dead system because something went wrong when doing the upgrade.

Do you want to take a chance to get a faster laptop? Up to you.

There was a post about someone that had two higher end gaming laptops, he wanted to swap video cards between them. Result was that he ended up with two dead systems even when he tried to put the card back in the original systems. Neither one worked after he tried to mess with them.

Solution