Changing GPU in Toshiba Satellite S50-B-15f

Bronch

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Hi guys!

I was wondering if it would be possible to change the graphics card of my toshiba satellite s50-B-15f. I couldn't find any information online.

Thanks!

Solution
It has an AMD Radeon R7 M260 which is a low performance GPU. There is no information online, but I would say no you cannot upgrade because it is soldered into the motherboard.

Only specific gaming laptop model that generally costs at least $1,400 will give you the ability to upgrade the CPU. Upgradeable GPUs use the MXM format which is basically like a mini graphic card that fits into a MXM slot. This adds costs to the laptop and generally only high end mobile GPUs would be used for the MXM format because of the additional cost involved.

If you want better game performance, then unfortunately that means you need to purchase a new laptop. The following link gives an idea of the performance of the R7 M260 and several other dedicated...

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hard to tell if that laptop is using a daughter card, but Toshiba generally does not follow a simular form factor that would allow swapping in graphic cards from other laptops. Just recently I read an alienware user did just that with a donor card from another alienware laptop, but you are going to be on your own for information most likely. If your video chip is part of the motherboard then you will have no such luck.

It has an AMD Radeon R7 M260 which is a low performance GPU. There is no information online, but I would say no you cannot upgrade because it is soldered into the motherboard.

Only specific gaming laptop model that generally costs at least $1,400 will give you the ability to upgrade the CPU. Upgradeable GPUs use the MXM format which is basically like a mini graphic card that fits into a MXM slot. This adds costs to the laptop and generally only high end mobile GPUs would be used for the MXM format because of the additional cost involved.

If you want better game performance, then unfortunately that means you need to purchase a new laptop. The following link gives an idea of the performance of the R7 M260 and several other dedicated graphic chips or integrated graphics for that you would find in budget laptops. The most powerful graphics chip in this restricted view is the nVidia 940m.

Based on benchmarks or purely on specifications alone in the absence of any benchmarks; such as the integrated Radeon R7 (Bristol Ridge) and Radeon R9 M375; the Radeon R7 M260 is considered to be less powerful than the Intel HD 620 graphics core found in Intel's 7th generation Kay Lake Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. At the moment, the only AMD integrated graphics core considered more powerful than the Intel HD 620 is the Radeon R7 (Bristol Ridge) graphics core. The link brings you to NotebookCheck.net's benchmarks.

http://tinyurl.com/j2mz9d8

For a low budget laptop to play games on you should look at one with a nVidia 940m or the slightly more powerful nVidia 940mx. Such laptops should sell for around $550 excluding any Black Friday deals.

Solution