Changing video cards question

ironlee

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
Hi. I have a Toshiba a505 s6979 laptop. I've had it for quite some time and not quite ready to put it away. Well the original video card just went poop a couple of weeks ago. It boots up all blotchy with different color pixels. It started artifacting when I would be playing a game or using graphics.

Well, I ordered a new video card. Not the same exact one, Radeon 4600 series , but a nvidia gt330m . It bootsup with a black screen . Now I put the old video card in boots up but it's hard to make out anything. So I generally thought I had a doa. Sent it back got another one and still boots up black screen.

Now my question is what do I have to do to make this thing work ? Or do I have to get ati instead of nvidia? It's driving me crazy. Any help would be most helpful and I will be grateful.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
They both are exactly the same type of card. It goes into a mobile pci slot on mb. The model up from mine gets the nvidia card. Both models of laptop are identical except for video cards.

ironlee

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
They both are exactly the same type of card. It goes into a mobile pci slot on mb. The model up from mine gets the nvidia card. Both models of laptop are identical except for video cards.

Solution

ironlee

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
*bump*

Went from Radeon 4650 to a nvidia gt330m. Uninstalled drivers with Radeon. Still black screen with nvidia. Can't even get to bios with the nvidia. Still original ps unit. 90 watt 4.6 a.