Charging a NiMH laptop battery dirrectly

SithNinjaTyler

Estimable
May 6, 2014
I have an old laptop that I wanted to mess around with, an old Epson ActionNote 650C. I got it out and decided to boot it up and try it out after inheriting it from my dad, along with a crap ton of floppy disks. Anyways, he lost the charger, and since it takes a special connection, I can't charge it. That led me to take the battery out, and I noticed it has big exposed positive and negative metal connectors. That said, I was wondering if I could charge the battery by directly applying electricity to these ports. Mind you, this project is just for fun, and not mandatory, but could I get the positive and negative wires in a DC wall charger and connect them to the battery ports? It outputs 12 volts, and says it needs 2.0A to charge. I am aware that this might not be safe, so could someone else give me some insight on this? Thanks.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
I would not try and charge the laptop battery directly, as that would be unsafe, especially on a battery so old.

I would double check that a universal charger would not fit the device, but in all likelihood you are SOL.

SithNinjaTyler

Estimable
May 6, 2014

thank you for replying, but when i finally found a charger connector on a universal laptop set, Amazon sent me the wrong one, and I don't really feel like redoing that again. Anyways, do you know why it would not be safe?