Charter Unleashes 60 Mbps Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

....WHAT!!!...$140.00!!...thats BS!!...here in South Africa we pay that for 4mbps...yes, no typo...thats FOUR!!...

G

I am glad that other companies are starting to offer faster internet, I have had a 50Mbps/50Mbps connection for over 1 year now and I currently have the problem of not being able to find servers that cannot upload to me fast enough. Hate to be mean but for this service I only pay $40 per month. Regularly paying $60 but signed up at a great time. Best thing it is Fiber and they might change it in a year or so to 100Mbps without changing the cost don't know.

GrahamZA

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
On what LuCiUs said, here in SA we get ripped off BIG TIME! I'm looking at getting an uncapped 4mb account but it will cost +-$200 for an almost-premium account. Oh and did I mention our average ADSL CAP is 3gb?!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]And here I am stuck with a max 1mb/s with frontier communications. And I seriously mean stuck. They monopolize the area completely, cutting out any possibilities of ATnT providing data connections on their lines, and then charge customers 70 dollars for their fastest connection speeds, which are a whopping 1 meg down, 256k up.[/citation]
Hey, living on the frontier used to mean no law or shower. LOL.

I am paying RCN $45 a month for 7Mb/800Kb in New York City. Talk about being overcharged.

G

10 Mb/s for ~12$ including cable tv, fixed phone line + mobile 3G service and cheap prices on calls too.
I guess we are lucky here in Romania

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Your only as fast at downloading something as your source is not your speed. It certainly helps but, as in downloading movies and such your limited to the source's speed your getting it from.[/citation]

True, but how nice it would be to have multiple downloads going and then hop into a game with no fear of hitting your cap.

Or a 5MB a second torrent download?

Or depending what the upload is (all that is important to me) run your own web/media/proxy server.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Romania[/nom]10 Mb/s for ~12$ including cable tv, fixed phone line + mobile 3G service and cheap prices on calls too.I guess we are lucky here in Romania[/citation]

Oh wow you have no idea. Well, assuming you mean $12usd that is. I'm in Texas,US, and all of that here would be over $150usd even before taxes!

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
America is extremely backwards in terms of internet speeds. Not as bad as south africa by the sounds of it... But overall, America blows. And it's less because of technology, and more because of politicians focusing more on limiting certain technologies while completely neglecting the most important ones.

Same situation where third world countries have extremely hard time getting food support from other countries because of their government.

America has some extreme difficulties in getting fast, reliable, and fairly priced, because the government couldnt care less. They're more worried about keeping our bleeding out corrupt banks and decrepit automakers from dying. But that's what happens when you're government is controled by 60-70 year olds. They'd rather bitch about 4 channel broadcast TV then the mountains of other stupid shit that continues to get worse and worse.

G

I have to say that I used to envy US people 4-5 years ago. The best locations used to have +1Mbps while I was struggling on dialup or best case 32kbps cable.
Now, for $20 a month, we have 50 Mbit (yes, constant download speeds of 5.7 MB/s), unmetered trafic. For 8 bucks more we have cable, landline + 3G phone with unlimited call time in the network, amazingly cheap rates in other networks + 0.07 USD/minute on ANY landline in the world and 0.15 USD on ANY mobile number in the world.

Can anyone beat that?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
They mention a bundle with other services? I have the 10mbps service with them with their Charter Bundle, wonder how much it would cost in the bundled price.

G

Sorry, made a mistake, the cost for the above mentioned broadband is not $20 a month, it's $12 :)

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
"Everyone likes a fat pipe, and Charter Communications plans to provide said pipe by offering customers the fastest residential broadband service on the market today: 60Mbps!"

Everyone likes a fat pipe...nice opening Kevin Parrish be careful not to scrape your knees as you hop and skip on the way to elementary school.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Wonder whats wrong with are economy $140.00 bucks over in other country's there not getting charged anywhere near that. Company's and sevice providers are very greedy over here for sure. Then you pay all the taxes for those services LOL. Come on when we going to get a break here.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]America is extremely backwards in terms of internet speeds. Not as bad as south africa by the sounds of it... But overall, America blows. And it's less because of technology, and more because of politicians focusing more on limiting certain technologies while completely neglecting the most important ones.Same situation where third world countries have extremely hard time getting food support from other countries because of their government. America has some extreme difficulties in getting fast, reliable, and fairly priced, because the government couldnt care less. They're more worried about keeping our bleeding out corrupt banks and decrepit automakers from dying. But that's what happens when you're government is controled by 60-70 year olds. They'd rather bitch about 4 channel broadcast TV then the mountains of other stupid shit that continues to get worse and worse.[/citation]

I'd have to say yes and no. On one hand our government (both parties) allowed monopolies in communication/cable for decades. Competition is what drives innovation, lowers prices and generally makes things better for all. There's definitly an argument to be made that this is a large reason we're so far behind.

The other factor though is that it is a huge undertaking delivering the infrastucture to 95% of the country (not population). Take Kansas City here. The metro can fit London AND Paris in it's borders yet the population can't match either one of those cities. (techincal term is Metroplex) There's a lot more cost involved with less profit. I'm not making excuses here cause I'm sick to death of being screwed over by Time Warner, just stating the fact that the cost is more than 2:1 here over other countries.

siuchi

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
[citation][nom]siuchi[/nom]for the price of $88US, we can have 200m(fiber to home service) in Hong Kong[/citation]

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
You know...it just really occurred to me how very screwed DSL is. Here around me AT&T has tried test cases of satellite and fixed, land based wireless Internet service in my area at least twice.

If I'm not mistaken ADSL2+ is only 15mbps...and that's probably only any good if you're close to the DSLAM. Copper just doesn't have the bandwidth. Or rather I guess the signal loss is too high.

Tons of people get their TV, cell, landline, and DSL with them (and I'm sure it is likewise with other providers) JUST because they can do it all.

You cut out the DSL due to cable and fiber being faster and...well...their business model starts to look in danger to me. After all, you know they don't make any money on that $15-$20 dsl...its the $60 landline charge over a network they own that was laid down a decades ago that is the money maker.

Unless someone comes out with some kind of AMAZING signaling tech...DSL seems to be on its way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.