Chattanooga, Tenn. First to Receive 1Gbps Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
What user would even be able to max that much bandwidth with a normal routine(not downloading files from 50 different places at the same time), though, I guess some people might do that with a gigabit download speed ;) . I can max 20mbit download and maybe 50mbit download, but I probably do more than the average user anyway.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Business can certainly utilize such bandwidth and the price is ok too. The price certainly makes little sense for consumers though...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]KT_WASP[/nom]*Looks to see if I can relocate job to Chattanooga, Tennessee *Nope.... ohwell[/citation]
*Feels a gush of wind as every tech enthusiast moves to Chattanooga, Tennessee*
Good luck getting a job there :p

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
1) Is that shared on a line or is that per house?
2) The usage better not be capped.
3) $350 is way too much. The average person can't spend that much on internet, no matter how good it is. The article should read "This new service will leave almost 170,000 homes wishing they had the extra money to spend on it."

chess

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]good luck to them, nobody is going to sign up for $350 per month.but for $35 per month it could be a deal.[/citation]
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]good luck to them, nobody is going to sign up for $350 per month.but for $35 per month it could be a deal.[/citation]

You are very correct. Even if this was just 100 mb/s for $35, 1/10 of the speed for 1/10 of the price, this would be a bargain. The company will reduce the price once other companies roll out with these speeds...but when??? yea AT&T and Time Warner can suck it :)

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm... I am kind of lost track of news..... what happened to Google's "gigabit project"?

How much difference will be between these two?

"revealing that Chattanooga's EPB will be one of three companies using its new gigabit passive optical network (GPON) technology."
Is Google one of that three companies?

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]processthis[/nom]1) Is that shared on a line or is that per house?2) The usage better not be capped.3) $350 is way too much. The average person can't spend that much on internet, no matter how good it is. The article should read "This new service will leave almost 170,000 homes wishing they had the extra money to spend on it."[/citation]

$350/month is too much for a gigabit home connection? That's cheap by today's standards.

Business Comcast offers 100mb for that price, I'd pay that gladly. Fiber optic? yes please... anything to get something I can actually use in my area and get higher speed with less headaches. Pity AT&T is still blocking any fiber in the area (they don't even offer service), so its either Comcast, or I fork over several thousand a month for a few bonded T1s or something like that.

Not everyone needs gigabit internet...yet. I'd be happy with 50mb-100mb FOR NOW.

[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]I have not been able to cap my 20Mbps connection...not even half of it.Why would I need 1 Gbps?[/citation]

Why would anyone need more than 640k? Times change, services change. What if HD-TV is offered via the internet and you want to watch and download video at the same time? Maybe more than one person watch more than one program at a time? Home Videoconferencing take off somehow? Who knows? Offer some options and people might make something really cool with it.

I believe they said they offer other tiers of service, so something less but still awesome would be cool.

G

I was all set to move to TN and freelance when I read the price tag. Something closer to $100/mth would be more reasonable. Still, if even rural residents have access, it would be worth considering when satellite is the only alternative.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]I have not been able to cap my 20Mbps connection...not even half of it.Why would I need 1 Gbps?[/citation]
wait..so ur saying you've never downloaded anything bigger than a 20Mb file? which is equivelant to what..an mp3 song? how do you not cap 20Mb/s..? last i checked it took me a couple hours to download a movie..i'd say i cap my 8Mb/s every second im on the internet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

keep rollin those fibers across the country!

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Lucky them I guess, if anyone can afford it for thier home. ATT and Comcast are still gouging my area and providing the most pitiful service.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
To give you all an idea of what having a GB connection would be like, would be similar to having a GB home network. In other words if you and I were linked by a GB ISP we could pull data from each others hard drives as if those drives were installed in our own machines.

It wouldn't even be a question of "uploading/downloading" to each other, we simply could map our respective drives on each other machines and just use them at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.