Cheap Laptop for school

Yamanater

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I just recently built a desktop and that I am planning on taking off to school next year, unfortunatly some of my schools requirements are to have a laptop for inclass work. So i am just wondering if anyone knows of a well priced laptop in the $300 to $600 area. Since I have a desktop, Disk space on the laptop is really not important, all i really want is decent processing power and a half decent battery life.

italiasian

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Ivy bridge processors are coming out soon, they are lower wattage so better battery life. The new ivy bridge i3 would be at the price point you are looking for and you it will be enough processing power for just school work.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Normally I would search up and give you info about the best components in best price category for a new PC beacuse I am a hardware PC addict, but in this case the (most forbidden and deneiled) thought that came to my mind is: why not get a Ipad?

Nowdays those machines are becoming more and more equal with a simple laptop and even outperform them in some cases. OK - you will become very locked and limited and cannot use it like a PC, and the touchscreen keyboard maybe is more difficult to learn than a regular laptops keyboard. But in the other hand a Ipad IS made for just 3 things: surfing, communication and writing. It really have become a small computer and is very fast and dont freeze or hangs up like a PC always does!

The communications devices is way beyond the PC market and you will have both a mobile telephone, a computer, and a mobile broadband all-in-one machine with way better battery life than any PC laptop! Just perfect for school work with bluetooth interface. If I in the future is planning to buy a mobile computer as an complementary to my PC desktop I would choose an Ipad and not a laptop because I think you will get more out of one of those for the money. But thats just me becoming older and more greyish through the years...

Yamanater

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Surprisingly i actually originally considered this as an option, the only downfall to an ipad would be the fact that it has NO USB drives... honestly i hate having to buy all this blue tooth sea-rap just to plug a keyboard or a mouse into it. It sounds useful in theory but i think the ipad is a little to entertainment oriented to meet my school needs.