Cheap solutions for my situation?

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I was wondering what a cheap way would be to get speakers closer to my couch. I live in an apartment, and work days, which means my TV/Movie watching time is like midnight-4am. I can't have the tv very loud. I have a hard time with having to turn up dialog, turn down action bits, etc. I was thinking maybe having some speakers closer to my head would be helpful. I am on an extremely low budget, I also know nothing about this stuff at all. So the first thing that came to my head was "computer speakers with a 50foot audio cable tucked and ran along baseboards put on a pedestal on each side of the couch?

Something like this guys (if you look on either side of his couch: http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/otmNP3-oOgY/mqdefault.jpg

Is there a cheap/prettier way of doing this? Cheap Bluetooth sound bar placed on my coffee table? Any advice at all is nice. Thank you!

Solution
Using a bluetooth speaker would work but since most TVs don't have bluetooth transmitters built in you would have to add one.
Your idea of a long cable would also work but if the TV doesn't have headphone or analog audio outputs (most have digital optical audio) you would need a DAC.
Both adapters will add to your cost.
On some TVs the speakers are separate modules mounted in the TV. These could be removed and the speaker wire extended to put them closer to you. That would be the lowest cost option but you would need to open the TV to see if that would work.
Using a bluetooth speaker would work but since most TVs don't have bluetooth transmitters built in you would have to add one.
Your idea of a long cable would also work but if the TV doesn't have headphone or analog audio outputs (most have digital optical audio) you would need a DAC.
Both adapters will add to your cost.
On some TVs the speakers are separate modules mounted in the TV. These could be removed and the speaker wire extended to put them closer to you. That would be the lowest cost option but you would need to open the TV to see if that would work.

Solution