Cheaper Blu-ray Coming Your Way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]Sorry, decrease in CONSUMER Blu-Ray products.[/citation]
I don't either. I was simply pointing out that those insignificant savings, were even more insignificant as far as the consumer is concerned.

If this is truly newsworthy (which I doubt), then I that really brings into question, how large are the profit margins if a such small licensing fees are so significant in comparison to the large prices.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]OK, a 40% decrease in cost resulting in an 11 cent fee for a Blu-Ray discs. That made the old rate what? 18 cents?Am I missing some big savings somewhere?[/citation]

Keep in mind, that $0.07 difference gets bigger as the product goes through manufacture, wholesale, retail, etc.

If it costs Sony (for instance) $0.11 per disc, they'll charge $0.22 to whomever they sell the disk too, in order to make profit. That wholesale distributor will then sell that same disc for $0.44 to make their profit and cover their own overhead. So the retailer then could be paying $0.88 per disc, and then resell it to you for twice that.

So even small costs at the very beginning of the process, make a difference by the time you're buying it at some retailer. Plus you add in actual materials and manufacturing costs. But generally, that's how mark-up works. Lots of times companies simply double the price on something, and that generally covers their overhead costs plus gives them a little bit of profit.

Hopefully this spells much cheaper Blu-Ray players for all of us though. I'd love to finally get a Blu-Ray player for my HDTV, and a Blu-Ray drive for my PC.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Packaging things together is a great way to sell low quality products for more than they're worth.[/citation]

Totally agree. I wouldn't buy a TV/DVD combo myself. You usually don't get the same level of quality you'd get from a good TV and good DVD player. Plus, there's to much chance both units day at once.

I recall the days of TV/VCR combo units, and I wouldn't have touched those to save my life. :) Besides the fact that you paid an extra premium for having them together, even though it was usually a poor quality TV and VCR.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Man I wish HD DVD had won out. The most expensive format won out;
not by the choice of consumers, but by behind closed door dealings with WB and Sony. At the time WB put the death nail in HD DVD's coffin, Toshiba was already promoting players at $150.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
um my upconverting 60 dollar set top box is certainly good enough for my 1080p. Im a video nerd like most people, but in all reality, upconverting looks just as good as blu-ray. If you think otherwise, it's all mental. Or you have a 60inch TV

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
we, the consumers, wont see a difference, because companies will see it as a way to make more profit, by charging the same amount. Come on people, just look at how selfish the human race is, why do you think our prices would change at all when they can sell it at the same price and make more profit...?

Status
Not open for further replies.