Check Out the New, Improved Xbox 360 Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I really hoped it was a mouse when I saw the title and then became disappointed when I saw the picture in the article.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I'm with tipmen on this one! Good observation, wish it was a mouse/kb combo.

Newer game console controllers make it easier to go diagonal on the d-pad, which makes playing classic arcade games horrible. I find myself jumping when wanting to pull of a special move. If they completely eliminated the diagonal direction all together I'd be completely happy. Why doesn't someone come out with a "classic NES" controller for the 360 or something?

elbert

Distinguished
The new game pad looks ok however I cant help but want to cut it in two pieces. One piece in each hand so the player can relax. I hate the bad poster this one piece design encourages. My son sets slumped over while playing is a bit upsetting. Two piece allows for a more natural hands to the sides play.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Why so much for a controller Microsoft?
I must ask, did you actually improve the weight, battery life, response time, button response, analog/trigger sensitivity, reduced button sticking (has happened to a couple new controllers for me).
Or did you just change the dpad and make it shiny?
With all luck, when you bring the corners down, the console locks it to a 4 way only input, and brings it back to 8 way when it's up.

I hope the actually put some real effort into this.

How about some damned bluetooth? I want to use a real headset, not that atrocity that Microsoft sells.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Whoopity freakin' doo! It's the same controller...only less colors and a dpad that lowers the edges. I wonder if the lowered edges will fix the inadvertent diagonal presses...methinks not since it is JUST A GIMMICK!

I think it's time to sell off my xbox since Live is going up in price and I don't even use it as it is.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Am I the only one who noticed the bad idea of removing the colors on the other buttons? IUn my house people love playing rock band and others like that and the singer usually controls whats going on since he has a controller so its just easier, the thing is with these games (as with a few others im sure) it doesnt say press A to do this, it gives a color. And every other game even if it does say a letter its usually colored too that way those who memorize colors over letters (like me) will find it a little harder and having to look down to find the right button. It seems like only a tiny problem but i bet its one that people might overlook and be surprised by it later.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
I think it's brilliant. 3D is 'in' right now, and they made the controller 3D. Well, not the controller that comes with the system, if you want a 3D controller that jumps out at you, gotta pay the piper. Genius. Not sure how I feel about the color change, I guess black and white is kinda the cool thing for brooding college kids' photography classes...

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
A new dpad look will not fix the inside problems...

This dpad is only improved if they fixed the actual buttons underneath. Bigger directional buttons won't help if the base engineering is still crap.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Ironically enough, I stopped console gaming when they phased out the D-pad. I'll never understand the appeal of analogue pads. I LOVE TO FEEL THE BUTTON-PRESSING SENSATION DAMMIT!!!

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Their D-Pad is the WORST! I hadn't used my 360 in about a year, then I bought some MS points and was putting in the code. The cursor flies around in every direction. That thing is virtually useless.
Why does MS keep changing their controllers. I still miss the original FAT xbox controllers. I hated the S-type and was disappointed to see the 360 get them, but oh well.
At least Sony has kept the same basic design for forever and it works.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Not worth buying a new controller for such a small upgrade, but it's cool non-the-less. I like the current D-pad in most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.