Choosing a gaming laptop

mailmanmo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hi,
Just looking for help choosing a laptop, mostly for gaming. I will also be using drawing, and possibly 3d modelling/animation programmes (Maya 3d/Photoshop, etc). But mainly gaming is my first concern.
Also I am not too concerned with size as I won't be moving it around too much, and likewise cos it will be mostly plugged in low battery life isn't a deal breaker either. Advice as to what size screen is preferable and at what resolution/refresh rates I should look for though would be helpful. I.e what is the sweet spot and what is just overkill.
Also what specs I should look for (to "future proof" it, as much as it is possible to do such a thing (I know, I know, " how long is a piece of string", lols). Also on same note are there any laptops/laptop makers out there whereby they can be upgraded as easily down the line as desktops can be (ie replacing GPU, ram etc)
For rough idea of what I'm looking for is modern games at least in 1080p at high to ultra settings. Also ability to use second (and third maybe?) monitor for 3d drawing work.
I have been looking at random laptops with the new gtx 1070 gpus. Should I look to buy now or wait?

Thanks, I know that's a lot, but if anyone can offer advice for any or all of the above it would be greatly appreciated! If ye need any more info jus shout!

Solution

The higher end laptops are the most likely to use a replaceable video card, for specific models you should contact the vendor to check with their support to be sure. Even if the video card is technically removable, newer ones may not work due to power draw, heat or BIOS/motherboard support.

I usually look at www.xoticpc.com for gaming systems, they have a good selection and offer a lot of customization to them also. If you contact them they may be able to...

tyler_55

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey, so even the 10 series are over powered themselves. But keep in mind you can't always upgrade laptops so it's a good choice to choose an overpowered one, as it will last longer. I would say to get one with a 10 series or near around the GTX 970 or GTX 980 Ti. For CPU getting an Intel Core I7 will defiantly let you use ultra settings for open world games like assassins creed! Now RAM isn't the most important component but 8gb is really just fine. Also in addition to the CPU you can multitask and freely use programs with no freezing or crashing at all, as it's so overpowered. So maybe a laptop around that. This will defiantly last you a couple of years and provide 1080p 60FPS on most games ultra.

mailmanmo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Thanks for the help guys, just another question, are there any laptop brands out there that allow for easy upgrading of parts, in particular the GPU? I am familiar with swapping graphic cards on desktops, and when I say easy I guess I mean something along the same lines?

The higher end laptops are the most likely to use a replaceable video card, for specific models you should contact the vendor to check with their support to be sure. Even if the video card is technically removable, newer ones may not work due to power draw, heat or BIOS/motherboard support.

I usually look at www.xoticpc.com for gaming systems, they have a good selection and offer a lot of customization to them also. If you contact them they may be able to tell you if a particular laptop is up-gradable, at least has the ability that is. Tough to know if a new video card in several years would work, they may change connection type, or any number of things.

Solution