iJackWilson

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I'm using Logitech Z323 PC Speakers and a Plantronics GameCom 780 headset on Windows 7. Is there any way I can switch back and forward between the two without having to unplug my headset? It appears to have set the headset as the default.

Solution
Then you can switch in the list of Playback Devices. Right-click on the speaker in your icon corral, select Playback Devices, and change the default when you want to switch outputs. You will have to re-open your music or other sound-source app after making the change.
That depends on the hardware. Most hardware can't switch back and forth in software because it's really the same output with a relay that operates when you plug in the cans. What sort of hardware do you have?

I can switch in software, but I've got a Xonar Essence STX soundcard.

iJackWilson

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

I have an i5 2400, 8Gb RAM, 120gb primary SSD, 1Tb secondary drive, a Nvidia GTX 680 and no sound card. The PC is built for primarily for gaming. Alternatively is there any way I can make it come through both and just turn my volume down on one when it's not in use?

What's the motherboard? With no sound card, the motherboard controls it and its' up to the motherboard software. The ability that you want, to override the switch that turns off rear output when you plug in headphones, is most unusual.

I mean it's rare in hardware, not that wanting it is unusual.

Then you can switch in the list of Playback Devices. Right-click on the speaker in your icon corral, select Playback Devices, and change the default when you want to switch outputs. You will have to re-open your music or other sound-source app after making the change.

Solution