choosing between a sony rx100 and a sony a5100

CoffeeDanceMom88

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
My cannon recently died on me and I am tying to research which camera I would like to replace it with. I was not very happy with the quality of photo that the cannon gave me and am excited to be forced to upgrade. Unfortunately, I do not know much about cameras and different functions, therefore I really could use some help. I am deciding between the Sony rx100 and the Sony a5100 (mirrorless). My children take competitive dance. I take photos of them on stage as well as videos. I am wanting to know which camera would be best suited for these situations. I will also use it for normal family outings, but really would like to have good quality photos of their dances. Their dances are fast paced with lots of spins and leaps. Any tips and ideas you have to offer would be be very much appreciated

Solution
Part of it depends on how much you are willing to spend. The Sony a5100 has a definite advantage with interchangeable lenses but this adds to the cost of the camera. The site I use lists both at $448 but that is for the body only of the a5100. With a 16-50mm lens the cost rises to $598.00. Both record HD video at 60 fps which should be good for a dance recital. The rx100 has a 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 lens. The f/1.8 would be better for low-light performance but the rx100 has a smaller sensor than the a5100. The a5100 combined with a f/1.8 lens would be better but there is a tradeoff. From the lenses I have seen for that camera, I'm not saying I have seen them all, you would have to go with a prime lens (no zoom). If budget is a...
Part of it depends on how much you are willing to spend. The Sony a5100 has a definite advantage with interchangeable lenses but this adds to the cost of the camera. The site I use lists both at $448 but that is for the body only of the a5100. With a 16-50mm lens the cost rises to $598.00. Both record HD video at 60 fps which should be good for a dance recital. The rx100 has a 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 lens. The f/1.8 would be better for low-light performance but the rx100 has a smaller sensor than the a5100. The a5100 combined with a f/1.8 lens would be better but there is a tradeoff. From the lenses I have seen for that camera, I'm not saying I have seen them all, you would have to go with a prime lens (no zoom). If budget is a factor, and you don't care about interchangeable lenses, then the rx100 may be your best choice between the two. I can't attest to the quality of either as I have never used either one. If you are not absolutely sold on having a Sony camera then you might consider the Nikon D3200. I have seen it on sale with a 18-55mm lens for $446.95. Nikon has a solid reputation and would be a good choice. The downside is it records video at 30 fps. For a little more you could get the Nikon D3300 which will record video at 60 fps. I only mention the fps because the higher fps is better when there is a lot of fast motion.

Solution