choosing THE gaming headset .

hoomss

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
i got big head and oddly shaped ears. i hate turtle beach. they are for children from my stand -_-

i tried Kraken Pro, SteelSeries Siberia Raw Prism, Roccat Kave 5.1,and Logitech G430.

the only headset that fits is fully extended G430. others dont.

what i wanna know is if Razer Carcharias, Razer Tiamat would fit on my gigantic head.

is there some headset that is as big as G430?

Solution
I would suggest making your own headset using a pair of a quality pair of over the ear headphones and adding a mic to them such as a antlion ModMic. It will be the best value for your money and the sound and build quality will be much nicer than similarly priced "gaming" headsets. I could list some options if you gave me a budget.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
I would suggest making your own headset using a pair of a quality pair of over the ear headphones and adding a mic to them such as a antlion ModMic. It will be the best value for your money and the sound and build quality will be much nicer than similarly priced "gaming" headsets. I could list some options if you gave me a budget.

Solution

hoomss

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

tried almost every Corsair's headset, and they are not for me..... dont fit at all

hoomss

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

budget is around $200.

i watched some youtube videos from Linustip something, and found Sennheiser pc 350 se is as big as G230,G430.

im thinking buying Sennheiser pc 350 or 363d, but Astro A40 is soooooo tempting

ORRR! one of Senheiser headphone under 150 AND the Modmic, one that recomended here.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Are you near a Guitar Center or Bestbuy ( or another electronics retailer with a good headphone selection)? Two popular options would be the Sennheiser HD 558s and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros. The bestbuy near me had a Magnolia section which featured a few mid to high end models from Sennheiser including the 558s. The Guitar Center near me also had a decent headphone selection and it happened that a DT 770 Pro 80hm was on display.

Both are very different headphones. The HD 558s lean to more of a balanced sound signature and they are open back. Open headphones tend to have a wider sound stage at the cost of bass and sound isolation. Since they are open they have better insulation and airflow for , letting your ears breathe and they won't get as hot and sweaty as closed backs can in a short amount of time.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is a more expensive model and comes in the 32, 80, and 250 ohm versions. The lower the impedance the easier it will be for your source to drive it. 80ohms is known as sweet spot for this pair of headphones and it should be able to be driven to decent volumes with your onboard amp/dac. If you wanted more juice out if it you could always look into an amp later on. This headphone is definitely for your bass heads, and the "fun" rating can be described as phenomenal :lol: . However the great bass extension comes with a cost to the mids and highs. Despite being closed back the 770 PROs have a decent sound stage and can be quite immersive when used for gaming. Granted if you're playing specifically to listen for positional queues such as footsteps, these might not be the best choice due to the slightly over powered bass. Comfort wise these are also great and have velour pads like the Senns.

If you went with the Beyerdnamics it would probably push you over the $150 budget. You could get a cheapo 3.5mm mic and 3.5mm male to female extension cable to use with the 770 Pros (attach with cable ties). It would still work fine, but wouldn't be as high quality as the ModMic.