Choppy webcam on asus g73sw

giblien

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Hi All,

I just picked up an Asus g73sw from bestbuy yesterday and I love it. My only complaint is that the webcam is REALLY choppy (like 5 frames per second). I have tried downloading drivers for it, but device manager tells me that the drivers are up to date. Anyone else having this same issue or have ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks for the help.

Neil

SteveH877

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I have the same unit but after updates it no longer detects that the internal webcam is attached. What is the description/model of the webcam, and where did you download the drivers from - I can't find them on the Asus site.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I have the G73- and mine seems to work fine.
I do find that if you bump the resolution up to the top, and your internet connection is bad, it automatically drops the frame rate down to support it, even if you are using it local.
don't know why, it just does. If i have a good internet connection and set the cam res to mid-range, it works great.

SteveH877

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I would try and manually re-install it but I don't know what kind it is or where I can locate the driver. ASUS just wanted to issue an RMA, and didn't seem to know the type of webcam hardware they are building into these units either. There are absolutely no webcam drivers posted on the ASUS support website for this unit but there is a webcam application. Even the specification page offers no technical details other than it's a 2 MP webcam. Checking Newegg, Bestbuy, and Microcenter's websites - they don't list any technical information about webcam specs so I can only guess that several sources are used.

If someone could go into device mananger and give me the device and driver information I might be able to locate the OEM driver for the module - but right now I believe it has something to do with USB 3.0 compatibility or a BIOS issue of why it isn't being automatically found.

As a work around, I am using a separate Logitech Webcam that has better functionality, but if I take the unit on the road with me it's nice to fall back on the built in (and paid for) camera.

SteveH877

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Asus only wants to issue an RMA. Either the e-mail contact doesn't know, or they have an english language barrier and don't understand the questions.

Q: What kind of webcam is it?
A: Yes. Here is the link to start an RMA...

SteveH877

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I am not sure if Adi parashakti even knows the answer to this one!
(All the four Vedas and Purana says that The deity who stands above all is Adi parashakti, She is known as the power of Ultimate reality. Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and other gods always worship her)
Though apparently, her webcam works!