chrome and windows 10 issues. Chrome won't open. Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

John needs help

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016
Took awhile to download chrome. Had to disable Avast and run as an administrator. It downloaded, but now won't open. What am I missing?

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Right click on Google Chrome and select Run as Administrator.
- If it doesn't work try to disable AVAST again and see if it will work or not.
- If Google Chrome will open while AVAST is disabled you may need to uninstall/reinstall AVAST.
- If it will still not open you'll need to uninstall/reinstall Google Chrome again.
- For testing purposes as well try uninstalling AVAST first and see if Chrome will work without it.
- If it does work that means AVAST is not configured properly since it's not suppose to block it.

seeking_solution

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

ndhami

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

I do not have solution John, But after persistent issues with windows 10 and chrome, have decided to settle on edge, you can not afford your work pc to suffer.. Its more than technological issue, its type political one or browser war or economic viability. As google screwed Microsoft in smaller device market. This is Microsoft turn to give it back.

So edge is good option to chrome on laptops/desktops

Jan 1, 2017
I just did a clean install of Windows 10 x64 on my PC. I still would have Firefox, Chrome, and MS Edge Browsers crash or not connect to the Internet, thought the PC could see the internet. I had spent hours and days trouble shooting and researching on the internet for a fix. When the clean install did not fix the problem I had begun to think there must be no solution to this problem at the present time. I found out that Malware Bytes process once closed on my PC was the culprit. I am running Sophos UTM Antivirus as my primary virus protection on the PC. This never had caused any issues, it was not until Malware Bytes was installed that the issue started. My PC does have the Anniversary Update installed on it, and I am using the Spy Bot Anti-Beacon, which works well for stopping some of bloatware and spyware MS has bundled with Windows 10. All my browsers now work like normal, and open without crashing. Hopefully if anyone else experiences this same problem comes across this little blurb.

alth0triplemadang

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

I'm glad your problem was fixed.

Helen_21

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
So firstly a bit of background to the issue.....

After an update to windows 10 a few weeks ago I noticed that there appeared to be a lot of promo messages for edge popping up everytime I used Chrome telling me how chrome was a battery drain and edge was so much faster from this point chrome started to bug out run slower not load properly get stuck in a loop etc and the edge promos would keep popping up. I did an update a couple of days ago and suddenly chrome stopped working freezing and crashing. Weirdly my ability to open from the taskbar and shortcuts failed as did trying to open it from the folder.
i decided that I would reinstall it so since edge was the only working browser put in chrome download and would you believe it up came a page of promos for edge and how it was better than chrome.
Now this is where it gets interesting......when I tried to open the google chrome page or chrome download links edge wouldnt open them blank screen and looping. At this stage I check my connection and try opening other sites which all open without a problem.
Then I think to myself thats weird and try to open opera firefox and safari and wouldnt you know it those are the only site that I cant open in edge......now who would have thought.Now I cant tell you how peeed I was about that because its clear to me that Windows has done something sneaky in trying to get me to set edge as my default browser and that was NEVER going to happen especially now.
So how did I fix the problem firstly I did the change the chrome.exe in the program file folder to Google Chrome.exe. That solved the ability to open the browser but what I then found was I was unable to set it as the default browser Windows refused to let me do it it wouldnt even offer chrome as an app to elect as default only edge which it had automatically defaulted.
So not one to be defeated easily I decided to try and find out how windows was able to ignore chrome. I went into the default program through the control panel to try and manually set chrome as default. Went through the motions of setting it only to find that it wouldnt set it as default. Tried also through the chrome settings wouldnt do it. So then I tried to do it through the set program access and defaults in control panel I clicked on chrome and it displayed that all of chromes default boxes were checked meaning it was able to be default. Then I decided to see what Edges access was like and lo and behold thats where I found the sneaky change all of the chrome boxes were unchecked.
To cut a long story short....I rechecked the chrome boxes and set Chrome back to default.
Microsoft are complete arse wipes seriously forcing us to use edge is your new marketing method unbelievable......let it be known it doesnt matter how good your product is I will never use it based on this experience you wasted my whole morning with resolving this issue which proves you dont value your customers at all.

Katharine_1

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017

This is exactly what is happening to me right now. I have just uninstalled chrome. How do I trick explorer or edge???

Helen_21

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
Hi Katherine

just follow the italicised steps below.....

So how did I fix the problem firstly I did the change the chrome.exe in the program file folder to Google Chrome.exe. That solved the ability to open the browser but what I then found was I was unable to set it as the default browser Windows refused to let me do it it wouldnt even offer chrome as an app to elect as default only edge which it had automatically defaulted.
So not one to be defeated easily I decided to try and find out how windows was able to ignore chrome. I went into the default program through the control panel to try and manually set chrome as default. Went through the motions of setting it only to find that it wouldnt set it as default. Tried also through the chrome settings wouldnt do it. So then I tried to do it through the set program access and defaults in control panel I clicked on chrome and it displayed that all of chromes default boxes were checked meaning it was able to be default. Then I decided to see what Edges access was like and lo and behold thats where I found the sneaky change all of the chrome boxes were unchecked.
To cut a long story short....I rechecked the chrome boxes and set Chrome back to default for Edge..

Katharine_1

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017
Hi. Thanks helen
Only problem is that I physically can't get chrome to download via edge or explorer at all before I get to that stage as it even via bing as a search engine it seems to freeze me out.

wontpostmuch

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Just a thought (I'm no expert) - are you using McAfee Live Safe by any chance? This was happening to me. Only just got the machine a few days ago. I put the problem down to McAfee as it didn't want to open and the problem started around the time it updated yesterday. I first noticed things freeze up in Chrome but the same was happening (though not quite as much) in Edge. I did a system restore (had a job to find it in Windows 10!) and although it said it had failed to restore it did solve the problem....until around the same time this morning :( After searching for answers for a few hours I just restored again and have now removed McAfee completely (now temporarily using Windows Defender but will probably install Sophos). I guess I will find out tomorrow morning whether or not it has worked.

Russ T C

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
I have had three machines on which I was using Google chrome as the default internet browser, in the last three days all the three machines have had problems. Google Chrome was not responding , and would not close properly and the only browser working was Opera. I have now removed Chrome and I am using Edge.One other thing I have McAfee installed and until I removed Chrome, I could not access the McAfee interface, this now seem to be opening now.

plutchok

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
I was surprised to find Chrome not working after a Windows 10 update a few days ago, and Edge having become the default browser. in fact, chrome.exe had disappeared from my computer. Strangely enough, though, Firefox still worked (maybe because it hadn't been the default?). So it was a simple matter to use Firefox to download Chrome again and install it, then select it as the default. No problem doing that, and it has remained for a couple of days already. HTH. :)

eduardoslybrito

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I've been bashing my head for the last week trying to solve this problem (I actually broke one of my keyboard's supports....shameful). Install chrome, reinstall chrome; unistall, delete registry entries and reinstall; Run compatibility mode, run as an administrator; Install older versions. And chrome would always open to a blank screen (white with minimize, close buttons top right corner) and crash a few seconds later.

I don't Avast but tried the solution of turning off the antivirus (Windows Defender in my case). Disabled the real time protection, ran Chrome and IT'S A MIRACLE!! Chrome opens and it's working! Afterwards I closed chrome, enabled real time protection again and ran chrome and it worked again asking to make it the default browser (typical... ).

I still need to check if this is a long term solution (some OS restarts and further testing) but at least it's a starting point.

Good luck to everyone. I'll try to update my status.

----
UPDATE:
After almost one month after my solution I'm happy to inform that Chrome is still working as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.