Chrome May Lose Its URL Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i already find chrome too stripped down for a web browser. why make it worse?[/citation]

Too stripped down? URL box, 4 buttons for navigation, a 5th for some menus and an optional bookmarks bar.

What more do you actually need? What else do you actually want?

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I already have noticed that a lot of clueless users type web addresses in Google rather than the URL bar. I suspect Google is trying to encourage that retarded behavior.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
It could make sense to have it integrated into the tabs. What about the extensions though? If you move them up, there could be a lot less space for tabs.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering Google only wants you to use Chrome so you won't be using another browser with ad-blocker allowing them to feed your brain with their adds 24/7, why should they care to actually make it a full blown browser?

G

I like chrome mostly because I started using the beta when it did nothing but view pages, and that's all I want my browser to do. The current version doesn't have too much added on junk either, and its certainly a lot less than one of the more clunky brosers like IE or firefox. A browser with nothing but a url bar, back, forward, and refresh buttons is all that I have any need for. I really don't see a good reason to remove the url bar though, as its the only UI element that actually gets used. I don't use addons or favorites at all, and options, back, forward and refresh only very rarely, but I do use the url bar. I could see chrome dropping everything but the url bar, and maybe having refresh and back as keybard shortcuts, but the url bar needs to stay or I'll probably switch to opera.

As far as ads goes, who cares? They don't get in my way and I'd rather have fast page loads than have to deal with a clunky browser just so I can see white space instead of ads that I'll ignore either way.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Considering Google only wants you to use Chrome so you won't be using another browser with ad-blocker allowing them to feed your brain with their adds 24/7, why should they care to actually make it a full blown browser?[/citation]
Chrome has ad-blocker.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]mattclary[/nom]I already have noticed that a lot of clueless users type web addresses in Google rather than the URL bar. I suspect Google is trying to encourage that retarded behavior.[/citation]

Haha! +1

G

Strikes me that the title bar is the perfect URL bar - simply click on it and the url appears, pre-highlighted and you simply type (or edit) the URL you want.

It's my idea and I hereby claim copyright to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.