Chrome Surpasses 30 Percent Market Share For The First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm proudly one of these individuals in this statistic. I stock trade with this browser, research endless websites to view their Investor/Quarterly results sections, browse news/information, media,... all from this seamless, very responsive browser that never crashes on me.

To all us Chrome users: Cheers! :)

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Are there people who use IE by choice? I have absolutely no data, but my perception is that of the people who still use IE, like 98% of them use it because they haven't tried anything else and because it's what was on their computer when they turned it on.

I'm just curious if there are lots of people out there who prefer IE to the other choices or are forced to use it because of compatibility issues or anything like that.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I use IE by choice, but i also use chrome. I dumped firefox a while back because of the memory issues and the painful startup times. Even tho those have been addressed, its too late as i now prefer IE9 and Chrome over firefox any day. Add in X-Marks (Last Pass) and ad-block plus extensions, maybe speed dial or any of the other hundreds of useful plugins/apps for chrome. the public IP widget which is handy, Flixter, Wells Fargo.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]Are there people who use IE by choice? I have absolutely no data, [/citation]
I for one am forced to use it at work as the intranet at our company is compatible with IE only. If i am browsing around on the internet, I can fire up another browser all-day-long without an issue with that though.

Chrome always had one heck of an advantage - the push from the biggest internet site in the world. You cannot visit google.com or many other sites and say you've never seen the advertisements. I know of many people that have no clue what a Firefox is, but with also mentioning a percentage of those same people have at least heard of Google Chrome. Chrome has been around for a fraction of the time Firefox has (see previous sentence also), yet how are we also on like version 20 already in a couple of years?

Is there also a way we could differentiate Computer and smartphone use here or am I missing where it may state this? If the two are reported as one, that would explain a lot for the Android explosion factoring into this. Congrats Google either way!

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Is there also a way we could differentiate Computer and smartphone use here[/citation]
Chrome and Android are different things. Chrome is the browser and Android is the operating system.

G

Chrome sux, it can't do multiple tab rows as FF can. That's the only reason why I haven't switched to it yet

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I use Chrome (default browser), IE9 (proudly by choice!), and Firefox (superior adblocking) because they all have their pluses and minuses. There truly is no "superior" browser.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
all three modern browsers are perfectly usable. Only the people still on IE6-8 are doing something wrong. so no flaming.

That said, I do prefer chrome for a number of personal reasons. First, I started using it before firefox over went it's face lift. Firefox looks perfectly nice now but I don't see a reason to change again. Second, it's made by google and i'm a sucker for their products.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]Chrome and Android are different things. Chrome is the browser and Android is the operating system.[/citation]
Right you are, but what browser do Android phones run?
:)

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
In other news:

Google plans on releasing their Chrome version 666 on December 22, 2012. This version will be one to die for!

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]Are there people who use IE by choice? I have absolutely no data, but my perception is that of the people who still use IE, like 98% of them use it because they haven't tried anything else and because it's what was on their computer when they turned it on.I'm just curious if there are lots of people out there who prefer IE to the other choices or are forced to use it because of compatibility issues or anything like that.[/citation]

I use Internet explorer only. Never installed other browser on my pc. But what the hell, I'm a strange person. Explorer and a custom hosts file to block ads and other crap and I'm good to go.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Right you are, but what browser do Android phones run?[/citation]
You can run any of several browsers on android. I know Firefox has an android app and there were rumors of a chrome app for android at the end of last year but I haven't checked since then. My phone is about a year old and the default browser when I got it was just called "browser" and to my knowledge it is not related to chrome.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]You can run any of several browsers on android. I know Firefox has an android app and there were rumors of a chrome app for android at the end of last year but I haven't checked since then. My phone is about a year old and the default browser when I got it was just called "browser" and to my knowledge it is not related to chrome.[/citation]
It's hard to find concrete info on exactly what the default browser really is (keyword that I left out of the previous post being "default"). The most I have found was that it is a derivative based on Chrome's engine and mixed with whatever a handset manufacturer decided to go with - but it is NOT 100% Chrome. Does that still make it register as Chrome? I don't know and that is another question by itself really. Only one I can say for sure is that using the iPhone browser registers it as Safari - but can the same be said about the default browser for Android phones? If you switched to something besides the default browser, that's an obvious answer then.

Status
Not open for further replies.