Chrome Tops 25% Market Share for the First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

chrome is still a huge security risk.... i dont see it encroaching for long.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Congrats to Google and Chrome users. They capitalized on Microsoft's inability and FireFox's blunders. I'm still an Opera user and if one thing Google is doing right, it's forcing all sectors they decide to enter to rethink how they do business.

Win-Win for the user and technology.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
It does appear that above everything else, Google Chrome has the superior update model. I have used Chrome for several years, and have never once been notified that it needs to update because it handles that automatically. And Chrome is already on version 13. This definitely helps that they can roll out patches automatically, it reduces the risk that a user will look to other products to solve browser issues.
Comparatively, IE has terrible trouble getting users to update because customers have to do it manually, increasing the chance that they will look for alternatives to their product. Just look at how many users are still on IE 6.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I can't say that I'm really very surprised. Pretty much everybody I know is using Chrome. In my experience, I just have less trouble with it that I ever did with Firefox or IE....

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]I love my firefox add-on too much. I can't leave them. Also, Chrome doesn't let me icon my bookmark folders.[/citation]

Sounds pretty trivial to me

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Chrome has better performance but fewer useful extensions, their extension manager is also more annoying to use.

A area where chrome excels at is load balancing. while it may be single threaded, since each tab has it's own process, it can spread them each out across multiple cores so if you were to do something like refresh 50 tabs at the same time, chrome will do it significantly faster since it will make use of all CPU cores instead of just 1 as with firefox.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]tomsec34324[/nom]chrome is still a huge security risk.... i dont see it encroaching for long.[/citation]

Could you elaborate on this issue? I was under the impression that it was safer than IE or FF...

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]It does appear that above everything else, Google Chrome has the superior update model. I have used Chrome for several years, and have never once been notified that it needs to update because it handles that automatically. And Chrome is already on version 13. This definitely helps that they can roll out patches automatically, it reduces the risk that a user will look to other products to solve browser issues. Comparatively, IE has terrible trouble getting users to update because customers have to do it manually, increasing the chance that they will look for alternatives to their product. Just look at how many users are still on IE 6.[/citation]
I also like the update model and how it automatically updates itself, though you could initiate it yourself if you hit the About Google Chrome button. However Microsoft could also automatically update, if its customers ahd the know how to turn on automatic updates. A lot of their customers are businesses, who have an update backlog to deal with where they test each update for compatability problems for their software. IE6 is still around because businesses insist on using it for compatibillity with custom software, and because both IE7 and IE8 are scary and unavailable to those on older OSs or pirated versions of XP.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
probably more to do with people not paying attention while installing other programs and chrome slips in due to an auto checked checkbox. happens all the time at work.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Congratulations! Now hopefully it can avoid becoming another Firefox.- From an IE supporter.[/citation]

Firefox is still a great browser. And for people who know how to effectively configure their browsers, its even greater. Who needs 0.05 secs faster loading, 1 sec faster launch, or 30 fish more diving in a bowl, when you are supporting software developpers who actually listen to their users?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]It does appear that above everything else, Google Chrome has the superior update model. I have used Chrome for several years, and have never once been notified that it needs to update because it handles that automatically. And Chrome is already on version 13. This definitely helps that they can roll out patches automatically, it reduces the risk that a user will look to other products to solve browser issues. Comparatively, IE has terrible trouble getting users to update because customers have to do it manually, increasing the chance that they will look for alternatives to their product. Just look at how many users are still on IE 6.[/citation]

except when google update breaks and you are stuck on 10... just saying.

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Even Firefox is rather slow and dumb let alone IE9 and why don't they get it, it has been years now, minimalism and simplicity is what everybody wants.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So the good old Cloud supporter,Google's Chrome is now getting dangerously close to Mozilla's Firefox. Only because the main body of people that are using chrome now are the ex-mozilla firefox users. Traitors to the core. We all know that IE has to be losing support,but I thought that people would be more loyal than they are.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]anony2004[/nom]Even Firefox is rather slow and dumb let alone IE9 and why don't they get it, it has been years now, minimalism and simplicity is what everybody wants.[/citation]
Lol, I just uninstalled Chrome today. It's a bit too minimal and simplistic for my tastes. I mainly use Firefox for the add-ons, though I prefer the EI9 interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.