Chrome won't open external programs any more

Bavvh

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Hi all,

I have a weird problem with file associations, and I'm not sure what happened. The ones that I'm having problems with are the ones that instruct a program to open. For instance, on the Curse website, if I'm downloading addons for a game, and I use the "install via curse client" option, it SHOULD come up with a window in Chrome basically saying "do you want to allow this". I hit Launch, and curse client opens, viola. That's not happening now. Now, nothing happens. Same thing with torrenting. I should be able to click a torrent link, give Chrome permissions, and uTorrent opens. It doesn't any more. The associations are all there, they just aren't opening the related programs any more.
I'm fairly sure it's a problem with Chrome (IE worked fine), but I have no idea how to fix it.

Solution
after searching for so long i finaly found the answer in curse client support page

http://support.curse.com/home

"Just to let people know; Google broke launching apps from Chrome a few days ago. This means that people are unable to use the "Install via Curse Client" option when downloading addons through Curse.com while using Chrome. Do not worry though Google has fixed the issue, and will be deploying an update soon to everyone.

Until then you can still download and use addons just:

use a different browse such as Firefox or IE.
search for the addon within the Curse Client and install that way.
or manually install the addon."

wow i was on a wild goose chase for nothing

jdmartinez91

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
wow wierd this just started happening to me today aswell, even magnet links were not working (torrent link)
i was able to fix magnet links, but not curse client links

@tarunkumar2 how do you check check the default program associations for chrome?

jdmartinez91

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
after searching for so long i finaly found the answer in curse client support page

http://support.curse.com/home

"Just to let people know; Google broke launching apps from Chrome a few days ago. This means that people are unable to use the "Install via Curse Client" option when downloading addons through Curse.com while using Chrome. Do not worry though Google has fixed the issue, and will be deploying an update soon to everyone.

Until then you can still download and use addons just:

use a different browse such as Firefox or IE.
search for the addon within the Curse Client and install that way.
or manually install the addon."

wow i was on a wild goose chase for nothing

Solution