Chrome "Your Connection is not private"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightshurai

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
So I got this message from Chrome:

Your Connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

www.google.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to www.google.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. Either an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.google.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit www.google.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

I tried to access google.com, youtube.com, and a few other sites but it kept coming back with this message and a code at the bottom (net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID)

It keeps doing this intermittently on some and consistently to the one mentioned above... oddly enough I can still access this site lol. What should I do?

Help very much appreciated!

Kieth Kiton

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
I had the exact same problem!!!

This fixed it:

open network and sharing center
On the left side- click on:
change advanced sharing settings.
click on home or work.
go through and check "turn off" for the first three questions.
turn on password.

How to turn on password ?

Sasha_1

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
I had that same error message this past weekend. I had just had internet installed at my house. While I was able to connect with my cell phone, the lap tops would give me this error message. I had spent over 2 hours on the phone with Xfinity Technical Support and they were not of any help. It wasn't until my boyfriend tried to connect his cell phone to my wifi last night that he got a black screen that said "xfinitiy wifi setup". I asked him to get out of that screen and on my cell phone googled xfinity wifi setup and got the same screen. I entered a name for my wifi a name and set up a password that was different than the one on the modem. Once I did this, the "connection is private" error went away and I was able to connect to the internet without further problems.

jazz4kurt

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015

but, but... I have no home or work in advanced sharing settings. Which Windows is this solution for please?

Chillywinter

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
Try to check your Computer's Date and Time.

OMG this fixed it for me after 3 months living with the problem on my spare XP media PC in the spare room. Hard to believe the clock being 6 months out can cause such a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.