Chromebook Data Recovery?

Drizz57

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
I have a Samsung chromebook xe303c12 which when i turn it on just gives an error message and says Chrome OS cant be found and it needs to be reinstalled.

The problem is that there are pictures on there that were not saved to the google drive that I need to recover. This model doesnt actually have a hard drive I can just open and pull out so im not quite sure how to do this. Doesnt want to let me boot to linux either..

Solution
Home partition on Chromebook is encrypted, so even if you were able to connect it to another computer, you would not be able the files stored on it.

Note: OK, I know - you can connect the disk to a working Linux computer, find out in ChromeOS documentation how to unlock the files by providing proper password, etc, etc...

Drizz57

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Opened it up and as far as I can tell all the cables are secure

Drizz57

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Ok well I found that the pictures are actually on the picasa web album, separate from google drive. Guess I dont need to recover anymore! Though this makes me never want to save anything on this HD again lol

Home partition on Chromebook is encrypted, so even if you were able to connect it to another computer, you would not be able the files stored on it.

Note: OK, I know - you can connect the disk to a working Linux computer, find out in ChromeOS documentation how to unlock the files by providing proper password, etc, etc...

Solution