Review Chromecast with Google TV review

Sep 30, 2020
I currently have the Amazon Fire stick and one issue I have is that I keep running out of space for apps, do you know how much storage is available on the Chromecast with Google TV? I can see where they mention thousands of apps but not how many you can actually have on the device.

Reactions: Benji777
Sep 30, 2020
Does it come with the Google play store as any other Android TV? Or how does one install certain apps like Plex?

Sep 30, 2020
I currently have the Amazon Fire stick and one issue I have is that I keep running out of space for apps, do you know how much storage is available on the Chromecast with Google TV? I can see where they mention thousands of apps but not how many you can actually have on the device.
8GB in total, 4.4GB free... nothing to write home about... :(

Reactions: craig2web

Benji777

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
From what I have read it only has 4 gigs of storage available, so it's really no better than the Fire Stick or Fire TV.

Reactions: craig2web

Benji777

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
This is a huge fail for most consumers as it doesn't have enough storage to be of any use, I have over 20 gigs of streaming apps on my phone that I use all the time, anything less than 32gb is pointless to make. Google could have scored a home run here instead the struck out.

hardcorr

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
I'm sure you can use a powered USB-C dongle to add extra usb ports in order to expand the memory. This should also work with the Fire TV stick.

Nov 11, 2019
Get the Chromecast with Google TV if you want an excellent streaming device with Google Assistant built in.

Chromecast with Google TV review : Read more

So, I read your review article and it is helpful. But at the same time, I am somewhat disappointed. Here is the reason; On the packaging, it may say it supports Dolby vision, DD, Atmos sound, etc...but does it support those with all the streaming apps or is it selective only to certain streaming apps.

A clear example with this would be the ROKU 4k stick+ (3810x), when I bought it the box stated it did dd, atmos, and dts. BUT, it all depended on which app you used. For example, NETFLIX on that version of the stick doesn't support Atmos, but VUDU does. ROKU points the finger at Netflix and Netflix points the finger at ROKU. As far as I am concern both can bath in the same tub filled with gasoline while juggling 10 flares back and forth between each other. We all know NETFLIX and ROKU customer service sucks, does one need more proof then when looking for support, and a company relies on customers as troubleshooting resource to help their clients.

The point is, I went out and bought the stick based on a review such as this. IF I would have known NETFLIX did not support atmos on what was the latest-and-greatest ROKU stick at the time I would have gone a whole different direction.

I think when people review streaming sticks, they shouldn't just go by the feature card/listing on the box and manuals but actually, try each feature out to see which of the major apps work with the features being claimed by the "box art." Does it support DD (5.1), ATMOS (7.1), with this app? Is Dolby Vision working on that app? Or does it only work with such apps? Are there any of the major streaming platforms that don't work on the app? Think VUDU not working on firesticks or apple tv not working on CHROMCAST GOOGLE TV.

Oct 3, 2020
4.4GB of shared storage available. Should be fine for streaming apps, which tend to be fairly small. But if you want to play games as well, you can run out of space fast.

We definitely need a way to supplement storage. Especially if you want to play games with this, you will likely run out of space fast.

Oct 22, 2020
Does it come with the Google play store as any other Android TV? Or how does one install certain apps like Plex?
Yes. Selecting Apps on the top line menu give you a Search Apps option a couple of lines down.

BUT, the one my wife watches is not available: AT&T TV. Interestingly, I have it on my Chromebook, but the listing in the Play Store says it is Not Compatible with Chromecast. A shame since that is 98% of what she watches so it may be going back to the store.

Nov 2, 2020
On another note, purchased it this week only to have it glitching with the display jumping from standard to pink/purple washed out images. Having contacted Google support, it appears they are aware with no fix and affects currently certain Philips and Sony TVs... Total let down.

Jeff_145

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
If you are an Apple device user, stick with Apple, otherwise....

I've been into Home Theater for 30 years and try to keep up with everything, get best bang for the buck, make sure I'm using all my equipment to its fullest potential.

The Chromecast for Google TV has a well-designed interface, especially if you are willing to use their YouTube TV service for all your live channels as it is well integrated. However over the past three weeks with the goal of finally cutting the Comcast/Xfinity cable (which I did and am saving $80/month), this is my experience in a nutshell.

Chromecast with Google TV - YouTube TV & Hulu stream in 2-channel PCM. If you have a mid to high range AVR, it can spoof surround though quite well using DTS Neo 6 or Dolby Pro Logic 2 but still not as "clean" as a true 5.1 source signal.

Roku Streaming Stick + - A close competitor to the latest Chromecast with Google TV. Works well for people that want a simpler menu/interface to just navigate to each of their streaming services without a lot of other stuff/recommendations in your face. Has voice control from the remote. Hulu streams in 5.1. HBOMax streams in 2-channel PCM!!! Returned it.

Tivo Stream 4K - Streams every service in 5.1 (or Atmos Dolby Digital+ if service supports it). Better remote than the Chromecast with Google TV as it has more buttons including a very useful Info button that works in some apps like being able to see the video and audio stream specs in realtime of your Netflix stream to verify you are getting 4K and Atmos. Also if you can link your Tivo account to your Sling account, and Pluto, and Locast which allows the TIVO Guide to combine all the channels into one guide. Unfortunately though it doesn't have the option to add YouTube TV into the Tivo native channel guide. I'd still use this device over Chromecast with Google TV just because it streams Hulu in 5.1 instead of 2-channel PCM (currently.)

What is strange is essentially these are all Android TV Operating System Devices. So initially I thought it was the developers of the particular streaming service's fault that they are streaming their audio in 2-channel PCM. But apparently, it is both a combination of the hardware and app software, as otherwise why does Hulu stream in 2-channel PCM on the Chromecast and 5.1 on the Roku and Tivo or conversely why does HBOMax on the Roku stream in 2-channel and in 5.1 on the Chromecast? They are all Android TV Software Apps!

Story of my life in trying to get the most for my money -- end up spending tens if not hundreds of hours testing, talking in forums, troubleshooting, chatting with first-line tech support that has no clue about advanced technical issues, etc. This is where the Apple people can chime in an assert that Apple is wortth he extra money to avoid wasted time making everything "work" but Apple has it's issues drawbacks too.

I've kept my Chromecast and the Tivo Stream 4K. So if the Chromecast with Google TV gets their act together with the respective streaming devs, I may go back to it. But I'm no longer using YouTube TV as I watch very little live TV so the $70 with tax per month isn't justified. I'm lucky enough to have Locast.org for my areas, combine that with the Streamium DVR app (free or $5/month donation) and I use Sling for CNN and ESPN, and I'm quite happy on the TIVO Stream 4K.

Bottom line: Chromecast with Google TV has a great interface but it's just not up to speed on the audio streaming capabilities on all streaming services. Pretty disappointing.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021
Does anyone know if the new Chromecast will pass-through an HDMI source, via an HDMI-to-USB C cable? This would be really useful given that otherwise it occupies a precious HDMI port on the TV!

Apr 11, 2021
At the moment, the Prime Video App for Chromecast with Google TV only supports Atmos content IF you ALSO have a 4k TV. This is a problem with the Prime Video App (so please make a request to the prime video developer team if you also encounter this problem).

Apr 27, 2021
I'm only considering the Google Chromecast because Western Digital no longer makes its media streamer. I have access to streaming services like Pluto other ways. But I want to continue seeing on my television set, streaming to my television set, video files that I have on my desktop computer in another room without having to use an intermediary like Plex or EMBy.

Does the Google Chromecast send video files from a computer to my smart television set? Thank you

May 2, 2022
if you search for “Chromecast with Google TV wifi issues” you will reconsider buying this piece of garbage. I’m throwing mine away and getting another Mi Box. Can’t get any support from Google.

GilmourD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was thinking that there was a quiet release of the new version of the Chromecast with Google TV since this article is now marked "last updated 4 days ago" but it's the original version... That's disingenuous to not have the original publishing date on the article...