Circuit City Doors Closing Permanently March 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
“Thanks to record shopper turnout at many of the store locations and the attractive discounts offered on all merchandise, the sales actually went quicker than we expected,”

Sure WTF ever. Circuit City stores in my area were offering nothing but screw you deals on merchandise that was already marked up, often open box, and no return policy. Example were floor model 32 inch Samsung LCD's for $499. Hmmm seing how best buy sold them next door for $549 in box and offered a return policy I dont see what sucker would by from Circuit City!

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
No Circuit City in my town. I'm not surprised they've gone out of business though. Even when I lived in a big city that had Circuit City, I'd never shop there.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
All I got were discounted movies. Most of the discounts were only 10%-20% off, and that doesn't really beat online prices, plus I can't really comparison shop for electronics when I don't know what will be left in the store. I was thinking of getting a camcorder, but didn't want a lemon that still cost me $300. I could have got a cheap PS3 though, if I had wanted.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Where I live was also a joke. There where almost no discounts and most items where marked up at least 10%-20% then marked down 10%-15% only good deal was the movies but good luck finding anything and asking for help was a waste of time. I asked a sales associate for help she gave me a dead blank look and said she didn't work there after informing her she was wearing a CC name badge and T-shirt she said she would be unable to help me they no longer where responsible for helping customers find merchandise. Call me crazy but just because your going out of business doesn't give you the right to poor customer service.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Its funny how they they were so screwed and now are on their last days literally they still won't learn to stop their outrageous prices. Their sales don't even match to what I can find the other products elsewhere for.

They offered nothing that their competitors didn't have and at higher prices. They didn't give any type of special services and their employee product knowledge didn't even seem to be a concern with them. Its no mystery on why it lead up to them going under.

G

The CC hear in Puerto Rico had pretty bad deals. They marked everything up to full retail price and then slowly increased the discount.

But you could find good deals on very select items if you were savy. I got a brand new Sony HT-SS2300 home theater still in the box for $260, which is currently going for $360 on Amazon. And it is an even better deal than that if you consider delivery costs to Puerto Rico are very large. The same model costs $449 at BestBuy here.

danap611

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
"Attractive discounts"??

The only thing "attractive" about any of this was the fact that there was talk of discounts (if that makes sense). Going off of previous comments, it would seem that my experience was similar: I thought I'd find a Logitech Squeezebox Boom (retail $299) marked down. What did I find? A Logitech Squeezebox Boom marked up to $399 before being marked down 20% (making the final price $20 above retail.) Give me a break - and while you're at it, go fist yourself, Circuit City!

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I went and looked at some nettops and low end laptops. Compared the prices to the BB down the street. Apperantly, CC marked up the items then sold them at 30-50% off the marked up price. In other words, I could get the same thing at BB for a few bucks more at "regular" price not a "supposed" 50% off. This is why CC is going out of business... the worst business practices ever!!! Good riddance.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]“Thanks to record shopper turnout at many of the store locations and the attractive discounts offered on all merchandise, the sales actually went quicker than we expected,”Sure WTF ever. Circuit City stores in my area were offering nothing but screw you deals on merchandise that was already marked up, often open box, and no return policy. Example were floor model 32 inch Samsung LCD's for $499. Hmmm seing how best buy sold them next door for $549 in box and offered a return policy I dont see what sucker would by from Circuit City![/citation]

This always happens and is why I avoided the store entirely when they started to close them. They did the exact same thing at Good Guys and also at CompUSA.

Interesting Circuit City still sends me mail asking me if I want to extend the warranty plan on my TV. Why bother, the company is broke and gone.

G

"and the attractive discounts offered on all merchandise"

What bull crap! You can't get good discounts at a liquidation, unless what you plan on buying is the most unpopular item in the store. The prices are jacked up to MSRP and then discounted from there.

When I went to check it out in my area (San Luis Obispo) the biggest discount was 10% off and people were grabbing stuff like they were going to die tomorrow! Why are people so stupid? Why!?

G

Well Screwed is the word circuit city likes to use when refer to their customers. I went in the store about 3 weeks ago when they first started the sell. I was looking for the logitech z-2300 speakers. My G/F just bought these off amazon for $89. Now I have looked at these before on a regular basis at CC and their everyday price is $159.99. So I was thinking that I might get a good deal. Well I go in there and guess what they are 179.99 with %10 off making them $5 more then there everyday retail. ASSWIPES. So what I did was pulled everyone around me to come see the great deal. See they left the old tag out that said everyday low price of $159.99 and showed them that then the new even better price tag of $179.99. Well everyone left the store that was within talking distance of me cause they didnt feel like getting screwed. I did return 3 weeks later and finally bought the logitech g51's for $30 less then amazon. But I say Fuck you circuit city I am glad your asses are out of business for your shitty prices and dishonest bullshit.

G

I hate CC. Can't even remember when was the last time I bought anything (maybe 10yrs ago). They don't control the liquidation process, the liquidators do (Great American Group). They are crooks. Their goal is convert CC's inventory into as much cash to pay off the creditors. That's why they mark up the prices. I read in one post that CC employee saw $99 GPS get marked up to $100 once the liquidators took over. And CC has no power to change prices. Essentially CC lost all power once they file ch11.

G

It's not Circuit City's fault for the price increases. I went through it at CompUSA and the liquidation companies take everything up to msrp and then go from there. That's why you see things that are always on sale overpriced and then discounted. As for the morons that shop the "sale", it's their own damn fault for not comparison shopping and grabbing cart fulls of overpriced junk so they can put it on craigslist. Use your brains people, contrary to popular belief everyone does have one.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I purchased only one thing - a usb to DVI adapter to put on my mother's Mac Mini for a second display (with the first going to her TV so she can watch Hulu and Nexflix on it). Haven't set it up yet, so I don't know if it was a lemon.

The ONLY reason I bought it? It was the exact same price online at Newegg, but it didn't have shipping. No discount, no nothing - full retail and just laying out in the open with no associated shelf space.

The only other thing I saw at my CC that was worth while were X-box 360s, but I'm not in the market for one of those. Everything else was CCs typically overpriced merchandise "liquidated" at a 10% markdown. In other words, fool stupid consumers into thinking they are getting a half off deal when online retailers are still cheaper.

As to CC and CompUSA during liquidation - yes, they both were the same. They also attracted my business in the same manner - I'd only buy deep discount sales items because they were always overpriced on everything else.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I went to CC last weekend and it looked like a pawn shop. Almost everything left was opened or display items; and as everyone else has said, at higher prices than competitor's new stock! They were even trying to sell off their store fixtures. ($20 for some cheap ass hedge clippers?) It was pretty pathetic.

imabug

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
i picked up a Logitech Wave Pro wireless keyboard/mouse combo in the relatively early days of the liquidation. 20% off brought it down to the same price Newegg.com sells it for. It was an impulse buy, what can I say.

Even in the first week of the liquidation, my local store was looking pretty picked over. I have a feeling all the good stuff probably got shipped off to the other store in the "good" part of town where people have more disposable income and were more likely to be suckered by the "discounts".

Status
Not open for further replies.