Circuit City Offers Discount Dignity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
There were some deals, but in these economic times, I could not justify picking up multiple equipments and such to resale...

I did however do this a few years ago when CompUSA went the way of the wind...

G

Still most tings online where lower or = price to what they where selling marked down if they where actually lower then buying it online it was all gone by the 3rd week for people willing just to knock off the sales tax to be sold.

G

I live very close to cc and i went in there almost evry other day, i was interested in buying a tv even towards the last day most of the prices were higher or about $100 off an open box. My local store Bernie's were willing to meet or beat the prices cc were offering, so ended up buying a brand new tv that i wanted $50 cheaper than cc. I don't think cc lost any money selling their merchandise, it was a scam from the begining to the end.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I saw some open box 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasmas for $1k on 3/7. The boxed version did not have a price and I didn't ask as I wasn't going to buy one. Those were the only tvs left.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Grabed a few items at 30% off, just to realize later that their discount equals to regular amazon prices. CC won't be missed, I got some CDs nobody wanted at 80%, about $4 for a cd.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i'm sad to see cc go away, the more the merrier, more competition, choice, ect.

but i've read that the discounts were not all that great, if at all. basically they marked up the price to list and then discounted a little from that.

G

The First few weeks i sadly bought 2 items that were marked 25% off.. but later discovered they were marked up 35%.. thus i ended up paying 10% more than what i could of payed for from Wal-Mart,Best Buy, or GameStop. They were very slick about Highlighting the terms on the Receipt claiming items purchased can not be returned.... they didnt say that but they made sure they marked it for me to find later when i digged through the bag to look at my not so saving. GG at not having my new BBerry with Net on me to check prices on the fly. :(

BUT this week i & a few others picked up some $50 PC games for $15-25.

Always research what your going to purchase before looking at the flashy % off's.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I've never liked CC's high prices or the people that work there. They didn't know jack. One younger store rep tryed telling someone else that you can't tune in HD stations with an antenna. I knew he was wrong cause that's all I had at home and I watched the local news in HD everynight. I wouldn't believe their "knowledgable" staff as far as I can throw them... But on the other hand you can't trust any store to know what you need. They are just trained to sell and read the features on the box for you. For Radio Shack their motto used to be "You've got questions, we've got answers." I used to joke and say "I've got questions they can't answer." Circuit City will NOT be missed by me. And no, I did not know that it would be closed this weekend so I didn't go. If you wanted to find a good price on something Circuit City was NOT the place to go.
Try these:
www.pricewatch.com
www.ebay.com
www.walmart.com
www.newegg.com

G

My wife bought 2000 tampons and 500 Maxi pads at a local CC at about 80% off retail. The clerk said the manager just bought things because she could.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Same old tactics they used when they were actually doing business as usual. I for one am glad to see another mismanaged company go away. Companies that don't adapt to their economic environment should fail. I hate that we lose competition in the electronic market, but honestly they were rarely in competition with others. Their motto was "our prices may be higher then most, but the lies our salesman tell are superior to others".

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I am thinking the Shirt off Matt's Back was a tempting deal....Would have really liked Megan's DS, but needed a discount.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I bought a NAS drive there. It wasn't a spectacular deal but, I was in need and couldn't wait for one to be shipped. I never saw any prices that were irresistible.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Although I haven't been a fan of CC for years, I did I visit the nearby CC a couple times before they closed. I was very unimpressed with not only their lack of sales, but the general lack of integrity of the liquidators. They had a Lenovo Laptop with a broken screen they were selling for only $10 off and would refuse to take anything lower. They were knowingly trying to sell, for full price, games like Tabuala Rasa and Hellgate London that are now effectively unsellable (especially TR that closed it's servers at the end of February).

Not to mention associates trying to whitewash me into buying a TV... I forgot which brand it was, but they were trying to say how good of a TV it was, when everything I'd read about the brand was the opposite.

No... I'm not sad at all that CC is leaving. While competition is always good, I don't think any serious electronics store considered them to be that much of a threat, with their hither prices, low selection, and overall

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hopefully other stores outside the Austin area were discounting the merchandise much more than they were here. I couldn't people the people actually buying this crap off the shelves. Looking around for half an hour the only thing I found that I couldn't buy cheaper elsewhere, and usually substantially cheaper, was blank DVD's. I bought 100 DVD-R for $7.

I was completely astonished to see people jumping at these TV's that were open box, beat up, and more expensive than the brand new sets at Fry's, Newegg, Amazon, or Best Buy. People had literally NO CLUE that they weren't getting a good deal they just simply saw the "sticker price" and then saw the discounted price and jumped on it. The fact that the fire sale went FASTER THAN EXPECTED is very sad for the average consumers because it all but proves just how stupid and gullible they are.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Even during the liquidation sales, the prices at my local Circuit City were still higher than at the 'yellow tag' store next door and the 'ultimate' store just down the block.

I'm thinking that may be one of the reasons they are no longer open while the other two are... That and policies like trying to get people to buy "Divx" DVD players (pay-per-view, not the DivX encoding format) instead of standard DVDs and other such silliness in the past.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I wonder how much Megan was herself. I have to give them credit that was funny and good for them for having a laff in the end. Its harder to laff then cry yet they did.

G

It's too bad that people lost their jobs, but its not a surprise to see this happen. Whenever i'd go into Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.. the prices are always way higher than if you buy the same thing online. Often i'll go into the store, check out a product, and then buy it from Amazon and save 25-50% .. I've been using this site to find some good deals online: http://www.zingsale.com

Status
Not open for further replies.