Circuit City to Close 155 Stores, Faces Delisting

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I worked at circuit city in chicago, and now maybe 3 stores are gonna close down for good. God, i hated that place. That's what they get for not taking care of their customers and employees. So long ccity.

voidrunner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
in Canada we have The Source by Circuit City shops which replaced radioshack. any idea if these will be closed as well?

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
yea i worked for future shop (aka best buy since they are owned by them) here in canada, worst experience ever

cl_spdhax1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I agree, circuit city customer service sucks-price matching policy was also worthless, registers takes too long, everything is overpriced-a few reason I quit shopping there for years.

G

price matching sucks? they are better than anyone else at doing so.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
not really supprised one bit.... circuitcity had this coming for a long time. The one where I live is down right horrible. There customer service was terrible and extremely unhelpful. Most the managers (or people they said where mangers) where 18 including the GM (I not downing young people but please if your 18 and General Manger of a store something not right)... There prices where all over the place you would see a item online then go to the story to buy and there would be a 30 dollar price difference which you would ask them to match and they would ask you for proof its there website give me a break look it up. They also said they had products online available at the store and you would go to the story no product (or you could call them say story its in stock tell you get there) Not to mention I even had them refuse a check of mine because I had made a purchase earlier in the week give me a break 1 check a week? wtf So no i not supprised one bet i not happy about it either cause best buy not any better but still going to be around

Sorry for any mis spelled words I normal spell check things first but didnt have the chance to this time

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hope "The Source" doesn't close down in Canada. Its horribly overpriced, but its pretty much the only place to get certain electronic components outside of major cities. Although I guess another store would take their place if the demand was there.

shakumdown

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Not surprised to read all the negative comments, since I have had a horrible experience with them as well. To net my experience out, Approximately a year ago, I spent over $11K (Plasma TV, upgrade electronics in new car). TV purchase was okay, although Circuit City's network got hacked during the transaction and my card was compromised. My worst experience was having $6K in car electronics installed, they pulled a product switch with me. Sold me one product and installed another, took 6-8 weeks to get a compromise. Plus, they scratched a brand new FJ Cruiser (2 weeks old). The management staff was non-concerned with my satisfaction once I paid the bill, which had to be addressed prior to the installation process. Needless to say, I no longer buy anything of substantial value from Circuit City.

They should treat their customers better. It's said to witness the demise of a retail chain that could have remain one of the top locations for electronics, but these things happen. Especially, when customers are treated badly...

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I used to work for a Circuit City that competed for #1/2 spot in profit of all the CC's here on the West Coast when sales reps made commission. Our store was always flooded with people to the point that we sometimes had to make appointments with customers. The representatives were motivated to sell(we were able to knock down prices a bit to move merchandise as well - all you had to do was ask!), educated in their departments, and the managers were strict as hell and on top of everything. Inventory was accounted for at all times and we had a customer service office that usually ran 4-6 people helping out customers on the weekends. During that period we closed out GoodGuys (literally) and kept Best Buy from moving in for a few years. It was the one retail job I loved the most until they took away commission. After that, sales reps quit - CC was forced to hire anyone that put in an app to cover shifts and the quality of service went downhill from there. Now that Best Buy has moved in a few blocks away, no one bothers to turn the corner to CC. Hopefully this doesn't drive up prices now.

G

My local store isn't on the list. Darn. Was hoping for some liquidation sales.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
@hotrodex

you cant really expect much from stores like cc and bestbuy and future shop

the objective for them is to sell stuff and most of the employees will say anything and do anything to get you to buy something and that includes lying to your face, and the lying is completely approved by "upper management"

product knowledge is not a prereq in getting a job at these places, you just need to have a pulse and be pushy

the only time i will go to the B&M stores is when they have a sale or something (which usually by the time u get there, it's already sold out) lol

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
The ones in Cali are poorly ran anyway. It sucks that so many people are going to be out of jobs.

I think we are starting to see the effect of online retail. CompUSA's were the first to go and now CircuitCity.

cl_spdhax1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
The best price matching policy is Fry's, they have ads from all the local retailers ready. Circuit City wouldnt even bother to price-match Fry's, for whatever reason.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
My guess is, no matter how many stores close and sales fall, upper management is still worried about unions, employee healthcare, employee job security, taxes for the top 1%. Everything except giving workers enough stability to think about buying something.

As for online retailing. Why doesn't eletronic stores (like CompUSA) copy the online model? I will personally love a big online store I can walk-in and take home something if I can't wait for it to come in the mail. This kind of store is for people that know what they want and where to find it. (I'm not trying to describe WalMart )

G

Probably because CompUSA is already out of business. The web presence was purchased by SystemMax and is not the original company.

I used to work for them for quite awhile and saw the exact same scenario occur. First it's closing down 155 stores to try and cut costs, but in a year I bet you will see the entire company go down just like CompUSA. An interesting fact; many CompUSA employees switched to Circuit City when CompUSA went down. Including the worthless VP of Tech Services Carin Falconer. Who of course became the VP of Tech Services for Circuit City. Fly by night upper management is what destroyed CompUSA, and I bet it's doing the same to Circuit City. Not that the economy and poor service aren't doing a bang up job as well.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
enewmen. The whole reasons why the online stores do so well is because of the no retails stores that CC and best buy have. They have rduced prices that such stores can not do. guess is, no matter how many stores close and sales fall, upper management is still worried about unions, employee healthcare, employee job security, taxes for the top 1%. Everything except giving workers enough stability to think about buying something.As for online retailing. Why doesn't eletronic stores (like CompUSA) copy the online model? I will personally love a big online store I can walk-in and take home something if I can't wait for it to come in the mail. This kind of store is for people that know what they want and where to find it. (I'm not trying to describe WalMart )[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.