Clear video in, grainy video out (Video Editing)

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I understand there is very little you can do to with crappy video. While there are supposed enhancement techniques, I have yet to find any that really work (Been several years since I've tried).

BUT, my main question is this;

If I have video that is 720p, 640 x 480 and smaller, etc. that is clear on my 19" monitor, can it be converted to 1080p for my 40" LED 120hz TV without losing quality (Still clear video)?

When using 1080p, there are more pixels, and therefore I assume either the TV or a video editing software has to fill in the missing pixels (not accurately) based on surrounding colors? I'm a noob at this stuff.

I would just like to convert family videos to view on big screen without losing quality. And burn family DVD's which I can give to other family members who have up to 50" 1080p TV's.

Is there software that can do this?

I don't do this for a living obviously, and I have very few videos to do this with. Therefore, I'm looking for a cheap or free(Legal) program. I don't want any cracked(illegal) software or anything.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

I've used movie maker in the past. I'm never sure what format to save movies in. There's many to choose from (and I'm a noobish video editor).

I've always liked how easy it was to use. My old rig could no longer handle it though, so I quit messing with it. I'll have to try it again with my new 8.1 rig.

Any other programs(much like movie maker, easy to use) that you can recommend? I can spend up to $100 on a program. I've seen sony vegas/sony HD movie studio mentioned on here a few times (and it appears to be under $100).

If there is nothing better, I will just stick with movie maker. There's a massive website(forget the name, papa something I think) out there dedicated to troubleshooting the thing, as it's had a lot of issues in the past. I'm not sure if it's still like that.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

The layout looks a lot like movie maker (which I like). It has way more features, sounds more efficient, and is probably more reliable. Best of all it's only $60, so if it stinks I'm not out much. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks.