Cloud Revolver Desktop Sounds

Flandre-SDM

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Okay, so this is another one of those headset-picking up desktop sounds post, but there's something I kind of discovered about this. There's a splitter that comes with this headset, which splits the green audio and the pink microphone jack. You have to plug in the headset's 3.5mm jack into the adapter for it to work. Now, I have this issue where the Cloud Revolver picks up my desktop sounds. That means when I play a game, music, or someone speaks, they can hear it all. It's rather faint, and my voice does overpower it, but people can still hear it and it's become an issue. I thought at first this was a product defect, so I did swap them for another, and the issue still persisted. Just before I was about to give up and return these, I decided to plug an old headset that also requires a splitter for both the mic and headphones to work. I decided, hey, why not just use the Cloud Revolver's splitter? And guess what, I did, and the issue was duplicated to that old headset: I could hear the desktop sounds and everything I did on my computer. So it's not actually the Cloud Revolver at fault, but the Splitter that it came with that is causing this disastrous issue. I'm no big audio being, but is there actually any way around this at all? I'm pretty sure this was already known already, but just incase, I rather just repeat the situation and discovery.

Perhaps if I used another splitter cable than the Cloud Revolver's?

Solution
Agree: "It just doesn't feel right...."

Unfortunately we are in a world where it is all too easy to skew and bend things to mislead and deceive. I tend to be very wary of any product claiming to be "universal" or "fits all".

Easy for manufacturers to toss in an adapter that "fits" (meaning the 1/8" aka 3.5 mm plugs) that provides some physcial compatibility but ignores any logical or functional requirements. That however, would be a rant for some other forum.
Try the headset and splitter on another computer if at all possible.

Another thing you can do is to right-click the small speaker icon generally in the lower right screen area.

Try the trouble-shooter; see if that finds and fixes anything.

Then go into Playback and Recording devices. Drill down through all of Recording device tabs and properties settings. There are a lot of configuration options available to try and test. E.g., Communications settings tab via Sound.

Likewise you may need to drill down into the Playback device tabs and settings. Look at exclusive mode within the Advanced tab.

Just remember to change only one thing at a time and keep notes so you can reverse an action or setting if necessary.

And, as always, be sure that you have current drivers from the manufacturer for your sound card.

Flandre-SDM

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

The problem is replicated when I used the splitter on another computer as well. The troubleshooter does nothing but set things to default, and the drivers should be already installed (it's plug and play, but realtek Audio drivers are installed).

It seems no matter what I do, the splitter will always be the main issue here.

Okay - another thing to take a look at is the pinouts on the connectors.

Are you familar with TR (Tip, Ring)? There are variations such as TRS and TRRS.

This is a bit more tedious but google "tip ring sleeve adapter splitter".

What may be happening is that the splitter is just some generic variation and not correctly internally "wired" to provide the necessary sound connectivity.

When you google look for images, diagrams, and pinouts. You may spot the mismatch with respect to your headset, device, and sound card.

Flandre-SDM

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Yea, that would probably be the most viable logic thing, honestly. Perhaps if I just use another variation or something, maybe snatch one online. However, at this point, this was a rather expensive headset, only so that the splitter (which also holds the volume and mic buttons) won't be of use. I rather just return them and get something else. I heard the new line of steelseries Arctis was released. Maybe I'll tip into that.

It just doesn't feel right having to use alternatives when you would pay over 100 dollars for something to properly work, and it doesn't, you know?

Agree: "It just doesn't feel right...."

Unfortunately we are in a world where it is all too easy to skew and bend things to mislead and deceive. I tend to be very wary of any product claiming to be "universal" or "fits all".

Easy for manufacturers to toss in an adapter that "fits" (meaning the 1/8" aka 3.5 mm plugs) that provides some physcial compatibility but ignores any logical or functional requirements. That however, would be a rant for some other forum.

Solution