CugelST

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
15inch
Not too much weight
Acceptable battery
Travell Gaming and college laptop pref
Games like MMOs diablo StarCraft league of legends
No more than 1700 dollars(I want to spend less but I can consider it. 1500 dollars is good. 1300 great!)
Definitely I will buy it in Canada
No heat!,my last laptop is like being in hell

I would love at least 3 suggestions

Options?

lenovo Y510p (too heat, a bit heavy low battery)
MSI Gt60 dominator(a bit heavy) what about heat and battery?
MSI GS60 dominator (don't know about it. Love the idea of lightweight)

Solution

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Samsung ativ book 8, last years i7 quad core but still runs fast and great, 8 gb ram upgradable to 16, 750gb hhd but add a 1tb or 750gb ssd for $300-400, battery life 8-12 hours, weighs 5lbs, 15", touchscreen a plus if you ever use it, sleek and slim, amd hd radeon 8770 1gb ddr5 graphics, good mid range.
Laptop $1200, ram $70, 1tb ssd $400 = 1700 total for quad core i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, 5lb, 8-12 hour battery, slim, sleek, extremely portable laptop. Plays cod, bf4, borderlands, titanfall at low to mid graphics just fine. Never had any heat problems.

CugelST

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Where can I find the Samsung ativ book 8? I can't find it @ amazon :S

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Sorry for the late reply, didnt get any email or notifications on the matter. But the samsung ativ book 8 is the same as the ativ book 6. The 8 has almost double the battery of the 6 though. The six you can get online at amazon, mircrosoft, or best buy and such. Normally goes around $900. But for $1200 you get the 8 with phenominal battery. That i have only found on bestbuy. I bought in store, but i dont know if they have nonmobile best buys in canada, but you could try ordering it online and see if they will ship to you.

Otherwise, i honestly cant find another place other than best buy. But you could always get the '6' it still gives 6 hours battery, gives the same i7 quad, amd 8700 graphics, ram and hhd. Plus if you get it for $900, then adding $70 for ram and now ive seen the 1tb samsung 840evo go for $450's. So for less than $1500 you could get a great lightweight, good cooling, fast laptop.

But yes, otherwise the gigabyte p35k is also a great laptop. I was planning on getting the gigabyte if the samsung didnt work out, but it did. But gigabyte still a great lightweight yet gaming laptop. Will run a little warm, but not hot so dont worry, fans kick in very good.

CugelST

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Is the ATIV better than MSI GE60?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

the msi ge is their budget gaming machines. The gt are much much better. The ge fans and cooling system aren't up to par, the keyboards aren't as good, laptop chasis itself has flex and feels cheap. But I think as far as components it will give you newer haswell i7 (no performance difference), but the gpu will be better than the samsungs.
The Samsung book, is very very solid, keyboard keys are mushy feeling but work great. Overall build quality on Samsung is top notch. Gaming will get you medium settings on the Samsung, yet the ge will probably get you medium and/or high settings on some games. The ge would be available with 760m and 770m. The 760m and lower is equal to the Samsung ativ book. But the 770m would be a step above the Samsung. S

So if you want quality book first and happy at medium, the Samsung is very nice. Top end build, light, thin, great bettery.
But if you want gaming potential, the msi will give you a step up, but the overall laptop will be a step down.

Solution